Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Pollyanna's Booklist » Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading?
Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #20328] Wed, 09 September 2009 13:13 Go to next message
Maren  is currently offline Maren
[Moderator]
Here is the thread where you may discuss your current reads. If you particularly enjoyed something and would like it to be included in our LibraryThing catalog of recommendations, please state this clearly in your post. Thanks!

[Updated on: Sun, 01 November 2009 10:56]

Re: September 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #20911 is a reply to message #20328 ] Tue, 22 September 2009 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
librarykat  is currently offline librarykat
Interesting manga: Oishinbo. This is actually Oishinbo A La Carte, because the series has been going on for so long in Japan. Viz is publishing only excerpts, collected into thematic volumes. I just read the volume on Vegetables, and there was actually a lot of passionate dialog about organic farming and how the use (overuse) of pesticides and fertilizers is hurting people. I really didn't expect that, and was pleasantly surprised. So, full title is Oishinbo A La Carte: Vegetables, by Tetsu Kariya, published by Viz Media. There are volumes on noodles, sushi and sashimi, and an upcoming one on rice. Oh, and each volume includes a few recipes; this one had a couple of recipes for asparagus.
Re: September 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #20922 is a reply to message #20328 ] Tue, 22 September 2009 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Melissa Mead  is currently offline Melissa Mead
Thirteen Orphans by Jane Lindskold. Makes me want to learn how to play Mahjong

Member of Carpe Libris: http://carpelibris.wordpress.com/
Re: September 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #20930 is a reply to message #20922 ] Tue, 22 September 2009 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aha! I just have the sequel to this sitting on my lounge floor, waiting for me to read it - compliments of my local library.

I learnt very basically to play mahjongg years ago, and yes I did find it helped while reading.
Re: September 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #20938 is a reply to message #20328 ] Wed, 23 September 2009 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Melissa Mead  is currently offline Melissa Mead
I enjoyed the book despite my cluelessness, but it piqued my interest.

Member of Carpe Libris: http://carpelibris.wordpress.com/
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21262 is a reply to message #20328 ] Thu, 01 October 2009 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
Note: this is now the Sept-Oct 2009 What Are You Reading thread. I'm going to try bi-monthly threads for both this and the recommendation thread since they've slowed down a bit and it's just silly to lock a thread with 4 messages. Smile
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21266 is a reply to message #20328 ] Thu, 01 October 2009 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim A  is currently offline Kim A
I'm just discovering graphic novels, and I've discovered a great one online: Girl Genius.
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com

It's on its 9th volume, and I'm quite distressed that I've now caught up with it and have to wait for the thrice-weekly newest page.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2009 15:53]

It was the only lullaby she would ever sing, and it was sung in Hell. --Laini Taylor
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21267 is a reply to message #20328 ] Thu, 01 October 2009 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ravenclawgirl  is currently offline ravenclawgirl
I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice for fun, Pedro Paramo for Spanish Lit, and Henry IV parts 1 & 2 for Shakespeare and the Renaissance. And I just finished King and Joker, by a certain Peter Dickinson.
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21268 is a reply to message #21266 ] Thu, 01 October 2009 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mori-neko  is currently offline Mori-neko

I -love- Girl Genius! I've met Phil and Kaja at a couple cons, too. One of these days, I keep meaning to do an Agatha cosplay... probably in her green tweed outfit.
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21281 is a reply to message #20328 ] Fri, 02 October 2009 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
L.R.K.  is currently offline L.R.K.
"The Best of the Raconteurs" - it's a Folio Society publication. (From 2000, I think.) Ideal for when you're feeling not-your-best - ideal to "dip into", when your concentration is basically non-existent. (Cold - been spending most of my time sleeping.)

[Updated on: Fri, 02 October 2009 07:08]

Why, I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean, like butter that has been scraped over too much bread.
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21318 is a reply to message #20328 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beauty/Anna  is currently offline Beauty/Anna
Lots. A few are, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, and The House of Many Ways by Diana Waynne Jones. I am about halfway through both A Company of Swans and Wuthering Heights, both of which are fantastic —but I like Wuthering Heights better. The rest I have just started.

"You are your best resource for success"
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21564 is a reply to message #21318 ] Sat, 10 October 2009 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anne_d  is currently offline anne_d
I'm rereading a series of mysteries by Sneaky Pie and Rita Mae Brown.

What I really wanted to say (and here, because I don't know where to put it) is that I enticed my Younger Daughter (just turned 17) into reading Rose Daughter. She liked it. She really, really liked it. She liked it so much that she's keeping my copy, and I had to buy a new one for my headboard library.

I just gave her Sunshine and Spindle's End. Heh heh heh.

I don't comment here much, but I do read the posts, and I just had to share the delight.

Also, the manager at the Fullerton Barnes & Noble told me yesterday that Sunshine is one of their best sellers.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 October 2009 15:22]

"When I am an old woman, so that too much queerness will seem a natural thing, I mean to build a tower... on my own side of the lake, and I shall sit there on angry days and growl down at any one who disturbs me."

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, Cross Creek
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21567 is a reply to message #21564 ] Sat, 10 October 2009 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJLR  is currently offline AJLR
[Moderator]
How lovely, that you can have a home-based reading circle of Robin's books. Smile I hope your daughter continues to enjoy them.

I've just got the new Terry Pratchett - 'Unseen Academicals'. I'm really enjoying it.

"Never let a computer know you're in a hurry."
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21573 is a reply to message #21567 ] Sat, 10 October 2009 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anne_d  is currently offline anne_d
AJLR wrote on Sat, 10 October 2009 13:56

How lovely, that you can have a home-based reading circle of Robin's books. Smile I hope your daughter continues to enjoy them.

I've just got the new Terry Pratchett - 'Unseen Academicals'. I'm really enjoying it.

I picked that one up yesterday too, and am looking forward to reading it shortly. Yesterday was the Older Daughter's (just turned 21) Birthday Book Buying Bash, as she has no classes on Fridays. Today I took the Younger Daughter out - five manga. I've lost track of how many series she follows, but it's quite a lot.

We're a reading family, the Husband as well.

"When I am an old woman, so that too much queerness will seem a natural thing, I mean to build a tower... on my own side of the lake, and I shall sit there on angry days and growl down at any one who disturbs me."

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, Cross Creek
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21610 is a reply to message #20328 ] Sun, 11 October 2009 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mayasings  is currently offline mayasings

I'm rereading Jennifer Roberson's entire Cheysuli chronicles. (I have them all in omnibus form). My favourite has always been Daughter of the Lion, which is the one I'm on atm Smile

also rereading Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, after too many years that I haven't read it.

also looking for new things to read, but kinda limited over here in Israel...

"they say that absence makes the heart grow fungus".
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21668 is a reply to message #20328 ] Mon, 12 October 2009 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
libby.gorman  is currently offline libby.gorman
The "books I haven't read before" that I'm reading are A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle and Smart Mama's Green Guide by Jennifer Taggart. I got the last one free from Goodreads, so feel obliged to read and post a review...and it's really very good--a well-researched but readable discussion of reducing toxic chemicals in your house--but it just doesn't call to me when I sit down with a book.

So I'm rereading He Shall Thunder in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters, which is my favorite of the Amelia Peabody mysteries. And, confessing myself to be a Harry Potter fan (is that allowed here? Wink, I reread a few chapters of HP#6 today, too.

Libby
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #21796 is a reply to message #20328 ] Sat, 17 October 2009 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beauty/Anna  is currently offline Beauty/Anna
As I said before, I am reading Great Expectations, I love Dickens' wording and the way he rights, it is fantastic. Wuthering Heights is becoming one of my favorites. I love greek myths which I have doubtless said this before also—reading two books of them at the moment.

"You are your best resource for success"
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #22345 is a reply to message #20328 ] Fri, 30 October 2009 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaccairn  is currently offline jaccairn
I've eventually managed to read all of The Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert V.S Redick, somewhat hampered by the first copy I bought missing pages 247 to 262 instead repeating pages 215 to 230 and the second copy missing pages 215 to 230 but repeating pages 247 to 262! Between them two whole books! (This is the UK paperback that appears to affected, or I'm just unlucky and Amazon sent the only two affected copies to me)

A compelling read and I shall look for the second book but I shall be going to a bookshop so I can check that it's all there first.
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #22387 is a reply to message #22345 ] Sat, 31 October 2009 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black Bear  is currently offline Black Bear
[Moderator]
I think that's a fairly common bookbinding error--the pages are bound in bunches called quires (I think the modern term is signatures) and sometimes the quires get mixed up in the binding process. I've gotten books where this has happened once or twice--glad you got it fixed!

"The time is always right to do what's right."--MLK Jr.
Re: Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #22471 is a reply to message #20328 ] Sun, 01 November 2009 10:57 Go to previous message
[Moderator]
This thread has now been locked for archiving. Look near the FAQ for the current month's What Are You Reading?
Previous Topic:August 2009 What Are You Reading?
Next Topic:Sept-Oct 2009 recommendation thread
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 1 15:15:50 CDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02490 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.