Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Talk » Seattle area PRC
Seattle area PRC [message #35563] Thu, 28 October 2010 15:21 Go to next message
forthewords  is currently offline forthewords
I'm new to Seattle but up for organizing something for us!
Fellow fans in the NW, unite!

How about the first weekend of November? dates flexible.
Some coffee shop downtown seems appropriate... suggestions welcome!

Cheers!
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35608 is a reply to message #35563 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rainycity1  is currently offline rainycity1
When organizing the First Seattle Robin McKinley Cake Celebration (see forum topic World Cake Tour - USA), I found bakeries in downtown Seattle to be tricky because of parking and sitting space limitations. Because of this we had started to think about venues outside of the city, possibly in Fremont or the Alki Bakery on Alki Beach.

We have at least six potential attendees counting you and me. Other Seattle members are craneflykate and katinseattle. We also have a new forum member who lives on Bainbridge Island (whose name I'll have to chase down - haven't been able to locate her yet), and a non-forum (but devoted R McK blog reader) who we were going to try to invite this time as well.

I'm not available on Saturday 11/6, and I'll have to check on Sunday 11/7. What time were you thinking?

[Updated on: Sat, 30 October 2010 13:31]

FairyTales - http://xkcd.com/872/
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35611 is a reply to message #35563 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hhayes
I'm free the 5th and 7th. Smile

Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35636 is a reply to message #35611 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm free pretty much any Saturday and Sunday. Glad to hear that there are so many people coming. Outside the city proper is fine with me!
The 7th seems to be alright, assuming places will be open and that you are free that day. Afternoon or lunchtime seems good... it's basically up to everyone who is able to attend.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 October 2010 13:15]

Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35641 is a reply to message #35563 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim A  is currently offline Kim A
Oh, I missed this thread! If I don't get anyone in Vancouver interested, I'll consider driving down to join you guys!

It was the only lullaby she would ever sing, and it was sung in Hell. --Laini Taylor
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35673 is a reply to message #35563 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
katinseattle  is currently offline katinseattle
If this is during the day, I'd be interested. Unfortunately, because of health problems, I can't commit to anything for sure.

I'm checking to see if the Alki Bakery Cafe is still open on Alki. However, there is a Starbucks if people want to come to West Seattle. There are other bakeries, but they don't have the view of the water.
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35675 is a reply to message #35673 ] Sat, 30 October 2010 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alki Bakery sounds like a nice place. Is there a problem with parking though (would Sundays be better?)?
icon7.gif  Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35690 is a reply to message #35563 ] Sat, 30 October 2010 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AbigailW  is currently offline AbigailW
I live in Redmond, but I'll drive to Seattle or wherever to come! 6th or 7th works for me.
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35694 is a reply to message #35675 ] Sat, 30 October 2010 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm.... I'll swing by tomorrow (Sunday) and see what I think. Parking consists of neighborhood streets.

Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35695 is a reply to message #35563 ] Sat, 30 October 2010 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black Bear  is currently offline Black Bear
[Moderator]
Hey Seattleites! Since you seem to be the group organizing the quickest, whoever's our point person here (forthewords?) should email me their name and shipping address ASAP so I can get Robin's publisher to send you some goodies first thing this week. They are, I believe, based in NYC, so it may be iffy whether you'll get the stuff before your get-together, but that's no reason not to try.

And thanks, those of you who were instrumental in the Seattle cake party movement this summer. I'd been talking back in July with Robin's publisher and agent about doing some kind of parties/events around the country for Pegasus' release; so when these threads started up on the forum I thought "A ha! This Could Really Work!" So here we are. Smile

"The time is always right to do what's right."--MLK Jr.
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35705 is a reply to message #35675 ] Sat, 30 October 2010 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forthewords wrote on Fri, 29 October 2010 23:52

Alki Bakery sounds like a nice place. Is there a problem with parking though (would Sundays be better?)?

I drove by today to make sure the bakery is still in business. It is. Parking availability depends a lot on the weather. There's always somebody walking the beach no matter what the weather, but there are more people there on sunny days. Besides the side streets, which tend to be full, there's parking along Alki Ave. There were several spots open right across from the bakery when I was there, but it was raining fairly determinedly.

Any time I've been down there, I've found parking within a block or two of my destination.

The #56 bus also stops right in front of the bakery.
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35734 is a reply to message #35705 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great! Thank you for driving by! (I'll be taking the bus.)
So I just called Alki and they don't take reservations and are purportedly busy if the weather is nice. (How was the seating during the Cake celebration?)

Would anyone be opposed to Zoka coffee/tea shop (http://www.zokacoffee.com/) in Greenlake? (2200 North 56th Street, Seattle, WA)
It may be more appropriate if we aren't having lunch since they seem to have a wider selection of drinks.
Sundays supposedly aren't too busy for them and street parking is available (and they're by some neighborhood streets as well).

Either place we go, why don't we aim for meeting at around 1pm on Nov. 7th?
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35736 is a reply to message #35734 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does Zoka have baked goods (like cake or whatnot?) I couldn't tell from their web site.

1 p.m. is good for me.

[Updated on: Sun, 31 October 2010 16:40]

Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35737 is a reply to message #35736 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Today (for example) they have croissants, blueberry muffins, scones, apple turnover, bagels, sticky buns, and some type of all-vegan chocolate torte and key lime (Thrive brand I believe?) .

Seems to not be big for cake... If you would like, Wallingford might be a good place for desserts since it has Trophy cupcake-ery (http://www.trophycupcakes.com/), Fainting Goat gelato, Maggie Moo's ice cream, Chocolati cafe (which has a reserve-able upstairs room). If you guys would prefer Wallingford, I'll go scope out which place would be best for seating, etc. It seems there is neighborhood parking on the streets adjacent to 45th there. What do you think?
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35738 is a reply to message #35737 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both Zoka or something in Wallingford would be fine for me. I don't care if it's particularly cake, as long as there is some kind of food. Smile
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35739 is a reply to message #35738 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, let's just cement the time and date: 1pm on November 7th.

I'll ask my Wallingford friends what they think of the cafes there; I'll go check them out myself this week and make a deadline of Wednesday for the final location. I like the idea of the upstairs reserved room at Chocolati, but I don't want anyone to feel obliged to buy expensive little truffles.

Yay! This is happening!
(As a side note, hopefully the package from the publisher will come this week. I'll post as soon as I receive it. I will bring a digital camera, but it'd be great to have a back-up photographer too.)

[Updated on: Sun, 31 October 2010 17:18]

Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35742 is a reply to message #35563 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 7th at 1 PM sounds good. Both locations mean about the same amount of driving for me, so they're equally good. I hope someone else can bring the camera; I'm a techno-idiot.

I might even have my copy of Pegasus by then. Shall we all bring a copy of a McKinley book so we recognize one another?
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35743 is a reply to message #35742 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jmeadows  is currently offline jmeadows
[Moderator]

katinseattle wrote on Sun, 31 October 2010 18:59

I might even have my copy of Pegasus by then. Shall we all bring a copy of a McKinley book so we recognize one another?

I think you should all wear sandwich boards with McKinley covers on each side. You'll definitely recognize one another then!

Smooshes!
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35746 is a reply to message #35737 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hhayes
I frequent Wallingford and Greenlake a lot, so I know a bit about the places suggested.

Zoka is a nice coffee place with lots of seating (though every time I have been there it is very full). They are very proud of their drinks but their food is typical coffee shop fair (fairly good but nothing to write home about).

As for Wallinford, Molly Moon's and Fainting Goat, while amazing ice cream places have very little seating. Chocolati is one of my favorite places; tons of room, hand made chocolates and cookies, and almost every drink involves chocolate in some way (but no real cake). I have not been to Trophy Cupcakes but I hear it is good.

For both neighborhoods street parking is relatively easy especially if you go a few blocks away from the main street and avoid paid parking (they are very vigilant about parking tickets here).
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35756 is a reply to message #35746 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hhayes wrote on Sun, 31 October 2010 19:48

Chocolati is one of my favorite places; tons of room, hand made chocolates and cookies, and almost every drink involves chocolate in some way (but no real cake).

I like the tons of room part and I've always wanted to visit Chocolati, but I'm fine with other choices.

Nov. 7 @ 1pm works for me.

I also like the idea of bringing an RM book! (Not so sure about the sandwich-board...)
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35757 is a reply to message #35756 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright!
So I reserved the Chocolati room for the 7th at 1pm. It's upstairs.
I'll go scope out the place this week and confirm the reservation and stuff.

If I have time, I'll try to bake something for us. It might be fun if some other people do as well.

I don't have a RM book with me in Seattle (how could I bring the anthology anyway? Wink), but I'll wear a Gryffindor scarf and wait around downstairs until a few people come (I'll try to be there by 12:30).

[Updated on: Sun, 31 October 2010 21:23]

Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35758 is a reply to message #35756 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Part of the original direction this last summer was to bring a R. McK. book as our means of identifying each other. We included them in our before and after pics of cake (chocolate toffee, in our case, but we figured that chocolate's chocolate Wink) So pick out your favorite novel and bring it along!

(forthewords, I'm sure we'll be able to spot you, even novel-less!)

[Updated on: Sun, 31 October 2010 20:27]

Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35761 is a reply to message #35563 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Urk, I just realized that Daylight Savings Time ends at 2 AM on November 7. Everybody better remember to set their clocks back, or we may have trouble meeting.
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35762 is a reply to message #35761 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
katinseattle wrote on Sun, 31 October 2010 23:01

Urk, I just realized that Daylight Savings Time ends at 2 AM on November 7. Everybody better remember to set their clocks back, or we may have trouble meeting.

How could you forget getting the EXTRA hour of sleep? If they don't fall back, they'll just be really early. Wink
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35795 is a reply to message #35762 ] Mon, 01 November 2010 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reservation confirmed at Chocolati for the 7th at 1pm!
Address is: 1716 North 45th Street, Seattle, WA
So the upstairs room seats 10-15 people... I'm sure it's okay if we have a few more.

I made a flyer for our event. It's attached as a pdf... feel free to copy and distribute.

Sorry it looks a bit Spartan, but after struggling to write Pegasus really beautifully by hand for the better part of an hour, I decided to leave it a computer to do it for me.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2010 20:12]

Re: Seattle area PRC [message #35968 is a reply to message #35563 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
Hey Seattle-ites, a heads up; new member Shadowsong is planning to attend this PRC, but since Blogmom's internet is down, her membership is still in limbo. So she emailed me to ask me to let you know you've got another person coming. Smile

Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36062 is a reply to message #35563 ] Fri, 05 November 2010 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SusFe
I'd love to join you this Sunday, along with my friend Molly (who's not on the forum but read about it in Robin's Facebook post). Is there still room?
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36066 is a reply to message #36062 ] Fri, 05 November 2010 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup! The more the merrier!
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36079 is a reply to message #36066 ] Fri, 05 November 2010 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SusFe
Hurrah! We'll see you Sunday! Thanks for putting this together!
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36108 is a reply to message #35563 ] Sat, 06 November 2010 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shadowsong  is currently offline shadowsong
Hi everyone! I made a Facebook event for this, if you want to signal-boost: Robin McKinley Pegasus Release Celebration. I'll have to futz with it tomorrow before I leave because Facebook was trying to be "helpful" about daylight saving and kept shifting the time forward an hour.

I look forward to meeting all of you.
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36119 is a reply to message #36108 ] Sat, 06 November 2010 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Everyone!
Excited? I am!
I received the posters and book that will be raffled tomorrow and am adding a couple of extra things. =D
I hope you guys find it in your hearts to bring some baked goods because I apparently am bad at making cookies! But fear not... I have brownies.

See you tomorrow!
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36197 is a reply to message #36119 ] Mon, 08 November 2010 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for coming, everyone!

Here is a link to the pictures... sorry they are a bit blurry and ghost-ish, but it was dark!
Cheers!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ciata120/SeattlePRC?authkey=Gv1s RgCIvS2vuTgPvI3gE&feat=directlink
icon10.gif  Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36198 is a reply to message #36197 ] Mon, 08 November 2010 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At least the group pic came out nicely!
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36212 is a reply to message #36197 ] Mon, 08 November 2010 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SusFe
Thanks for hosting this, forthewords!!!
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36216 is a reply to message #36197 ] Mon, 08 November 2010 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
I'm so glad it went well, all! Thanks for getting involved--I'm doing a guest blog for tomorrow with a rundown of the DC/Baltimore PRC; if any of you have any anecdotes or comments to share about Seattle's meet-up, email or PM me this eve and I'll put it in there too!

Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36261 is a reply to message #36197 ] Tue, 09 November 2010 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Susan in Melbourne  is currently offline Susan in Melbourne
forthewords wrote on Tue, 09 November 2010 05:56

Thanks for coming, everyone!

Here is a link to the pictures... sorry they are a bit blurry and ghost-ish, but it was dark!
Cheers!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ciata120/SeattlePRC?authkey=Gv1s RgCIvS2vuTgPvI3gE&feat=directlink

::Waves:: Recognised you immediately rainycity1. Looks like a good time is being had by all.
Re: Seattle area PRC [message #36268 is a reply to message #36261 ] Tue, 09 November 2010 08:33 Go to previous message
Susan in Melbourne wrote on Tue, 09 November 2010 00:56

::Waves:: Recognised you immediately rainycity1. Looks like a good time is being had by all.

~~Waves back~~ Hope you had a wonderful time on your trip. I expect after so long on the road, it was nice to be back home! Glad we could get together on your stop in Seattle.

Previous Topic:PRC DC-Baltimore?
Next Topic:Chicago area PRC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 17 13:46:23 CST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02557 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.