Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Talk » Central Indiana PRC
Central Indiana PRC [message #35515] Wed, 27 October 2010 21:12 Go to next message
Black Bear  is currently offline Black Bear
[Moderator]

As stated--I'm willing to be the point person on an Indianapolis cake-get-together. What's more, as I already have a copy of Pegasus, I will definitely raffle off the copy that Putnams is offering us, and whatever other loot becomes available.

I could do a Sunday morning in mid-November, or most Saturday afternoons. (I've got orchestra practice and/or concerts with Mr. S. on Sunday afternoons.) I live on the northside of Indy, near Butler U, so I'm inclined to pick a northside location unless someone else has a strong suggestion to the contrary.

"The time is always right to do what's right."--MLK Jr.
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35536 is a reply to message #35515 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jhutchison  is currently offline jhutchison
Either Saturday afternoon or Sunday is good for me, too. I'm a southsider, Greenwood, but am willing to travel northward. Was wondering about meeting at a bookstore like Borders downtown. But how would they feel about us bringing our own baked goods? My mind is drawing a blank at other options.
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35553 is a reply to message #35515 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maureen E  is currently offline Maureen E
Oh, I would love to come to this! At this point I'm unemployed, so anytime except Saturday night and Sunday morning would be fine for me.
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35585 is a reply to message #35536 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
I can call the Borders and ask. Do they have a cafe area like the ones in Clearwater and down on 31? We could purchase drinkables and then they can't complain too much if we pull cake out of our pockets. Smile I live right next to The Flying Cupcake, up on 56th and Illinois, so I could pick up some Professionally Awesome Sunshine-Would-Approve cupcakes to share. What about Saturday afternoon the 13th of November?

Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35601 is a reply to message #35585 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kathy_S  is currently offline Kathy_S
I'm supposed to be somewhere else at 5 on the 13th, but early afternoon would be excellent. Either the downtown Borders (bus - would need to leave for home by the 3:40) or Broad Ripple (bike) would work for me.

Where is this Flying Cupcake? I'm guessing it replaced one of the places across from Safeway, but which? You'd think I'd have noticed, though I rarely cross Illinois on my weekly visits except for the bank or for Kid's Ink, which usually does stock some of Robin's books. Nice to know there's another source of cake besides the Illinois St. Food Emporium. (I don't mean to insult the Emporium. I like their cakes! But more cake is always good.)
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35602 is a reply to message #35601 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]

Right next door to Kids Ink! Smile It's where the Baskin Robbins used to be. They do amazing stuff. Their Red Velvet Elvis cupcake is to die for... and they do a chocolate one with peanut butter icing that I dream about sometimes.

And I can offer you a ride, if we end up downtown.

Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35604 is a reply to message #35602 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you.Smile

I may have to investigate very soon. That chocolate with peanut butter sounds particularly inviting....
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35623 is a reply to message #35515 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saturday afternoon, 13 Nov, sounds great to me. I can come anytime. The Flying Cupcake sounds great too . . . must resist, must resist . . . at least until the 13th. Thanks for doing this.
Jennifer
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35628 is a reply to message #35515 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
OK, let's say 1:30 - 3:30, Saturday November 13.

I've just remembered (derp) that I have a friend who works in the fantasy/sci fi section of the Borders at Clearwater Crossing. If I remember rightly, he may even be a fan of Robin's books. I don't see him often, but let me get in contact with him and find out if he thinks it would be a big deal for us to have a meetup in their cafe, and he might be up for talking us up to customers who buy Pegasus in the next week... JH, could you do the northside Borders if it turns out this is a good plan?

(Kathy, my offer of a ride still applies no matter where we meet! Is 3:30 a good cut-off time to get you where you need to be by 5?)

[Updated on: Fri, 29 October 2010 08:18]

Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35633 is a reply to message #35628 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I wouldn't mind going to Northside Borders if that works better.
Jennifer
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35642 is a reply to message #35515 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I know at this point, any of these options would work for me.
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35644 is a reply to message #35628 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black Bear wrote on Fri, 29 October 2010 09:17

(Kathy, my offer of a ride still applies no matter where we meet! Is 3:30 a good cut-off time to get you where you need to be by 5?)

Yes, it should be fine, if I'm in your car!
(I once tried biking there, and nearly got myself killed.)
icon12.gif  Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35797 is a reply to message #35515 ] Mon, 01 November 2010 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kolokolchiki  is currently offline kolokolchiki
I'm in West Lafayette, IN, and would love to come, but will be at a conference in Michigan on November 13th. Please, keep me in mind for future McKinley reader gatherings.
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35799 is a reply to message #35797 ] Mon, 01 November 2010 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
Argh! Absolutely we will--and the 13th was kind of an arbitrary pick anyway. If everyone could do the 20th instead I've got no objection... But even if we do do it on the 13th, there are certainly going to be other opportunities for a get-together at some point. Smile

Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35814 is a reply to message #35799 ] Tue, 02 November 2010 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nov. 20th is fine for me. Better really as it's on the front end of Thanksgiving break, so I won't be up at 2 a.m. doing wretched teaching stuff.
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35820 is a reply to message #35515 ] Tue, 02 November 2010 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 20th is OK with me, too. I've got it on my calendar. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
JH
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #35880 is a reply to message #35820 ] Tue, 02 November 2010 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
I've PM'd MaureenE and kolokolchiki to see if the 20th works for them, if so then I'll make the official change on Robin's blog in my update tomorrow.

Thanks everybody!

Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #36008 is a reply to message #35515 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think my notifications must be going to the wrong e-mail! Sorry about that. As far as I know, the 20th would be fine for me.
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #36032 is a reply to message #36008 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
OK, let's say the 20th--it actually works better for me in light of some recent developments, even if kolokolchiki can't make it then either. Smile

Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #36060 is a reply to message #36032 ] Fri, 05 November 2010 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kolokolchiki  is currently offline kolokolchiki
Sadly, the 20th also does not work for me as we have a large community service project at Purdue that day. Thank you for thinking of me, though!
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #36316 is a reply to message #35515 ] Tue, 09 November 2010 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
First we change the time, and now... LOCATION CHANGE, y'all. Borders isn't stocking Pegasus, and I couldn't get anyone to talk to about the event. So I went to the Barnes and Noble directly across the river on 86th/82nd, not 2 minutes away, and lo and behold they had a huge stack of Pegasus plus they gave me the business card of their "community connections" manager. So I'm emailing him tomorrow to make sure they're cool with us meeting there.

I'm really sorry about this, it didn't even occur to me that the Borders wouldn't have the book in stock. PBBBBTTT.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 November 2010 15:45]

Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #36416 is a reply to message #36316 ] Fri, 12 November 2010 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
Barnes and Noble is the best bookstore ever. Smile They're reserving tables enough for 10 people in their cafe and we are clear for launch.

Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #36453 is a reply to message #35515 ] Fri, 12 November 2010 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yay! I hope my advance purchases helped inspire B&N to declare Indy a good Pegasus market. Smile

I seem to have gone and and read past page 365 again, after I swore I wouldn't until Peg II is available. Doubtless some people have more self-control with Robin's books....
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #36741 is a reply to message #35515 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
YAHOO!!!! INDIANA PEGASUS DAY!

Cupcakes for everybody!

Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #36758 is a reply to message #35515 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
And a great time was had by all! Thanks for coming out, folks. I'll have my pictures uploaded to my Flickr account asap. Mmmmm....cupcakes....

Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #36779 is a reply to message #35515 ] Sun, 21 November 2010 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks so much for organizing the get together. It was fun meeting everyone. You asked me to send you the link for the literature map. I found it. http://www.literature-map.com/. Looking forward to another meetup in the future.
JH
Re: Central Indiana PRC [message #36793 is a reply to message #36779 ] Mon, 22 November 2010 19:32 Go to previous message
That's fascinating! When I put in Robin, for example, I find a whole slew of my favorite authors -- as well as very few not-so-favorite and some to Investigate Further. I wonder where they got the information? There doesn't seem to be a place to enter favorite authors....

(I don't suppose anyone saw where I secreted the old receipt on which I was scribbling suggestions Saturday?)

Edit: Oops! Forgot to say "Thank you," and that it was an excellent afternoon (not to mention all the cupcakes.)

We will have to meet again after everyone has finished Pegasus. Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2010 19:37]

Previous Topic:Kansas City PRC!?!?!
Next Topic:Toronto area PRC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Dec 18 16:30:04 CST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08588 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.