Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Talk » San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC
San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35509] Wed, 27 October 2010 20:14 Go to next message
equus_peduus
Muahahaha I got here first!

I know there's at least a couple or three people in Berkeley, I am in the eastern end of the East Bay but visit Berkeley on a semi-regular basis; I know of at least one person in Davis (might be a bit far to join this PRC?); I assume there are people from the South Bay/SJ area (I go there on a halfway regular basis as well)...

Do we have just one get-together? Do we do multiple for the various regions if there's enough people?

Who's interested? I figure we can narrow down possible meeting locations once we know who wants to come and where they're coming from?
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35511 is a reply to message #35509 ] Wed, 27 October 2010 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
claning  is currently offline claning
Maybe. Depends on what day. I'm back and forth to the South Bay about once a week.... but not the week PEGASUS comes out, alas.

O Chris Laning <claning@igc.org> - Davis, California
+
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35512 is a reply to message #35511 ] Wed, 27 October 2010 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
The guidelines do say sometime in November or December, so it doesn't have to be the week Pegasus comes out (this will give us time to find and read it!)

I suppose I should say something about how I'm not likely to be able to make it the last week of November (Thanksgiving week) or the first week of December.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35513 is a reply to message #35512 ] Wed, 27 October 2010 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black Bear  is currently offline Black Bear
[Moderator]
Absolutely does not have to be that week! You have til December 31, go crazy with it! (And congrats, EP, for being the first to leap into the breach. Smile )

"The time is always right to do what's right."--MLK Jr.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35546 is a reply to message #35512 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that case, plan it for a Wednesday or Friday evening and I'm in! Even on another day, I might be able to make it -- I'm about an hour from Berserkeley and I have some shopping to do at Lacis....

+
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35562 is a reply to message #35509 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron  is currently offline Aaron
My schedule tends to be unreliable but I am definitely local and definitely interested.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35586 is a reply to message #35509 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elzebrook  is currently offline elzebrook
I am in Davis, and SF is a bit far for me, but perhaps the other Davis person would be interested in having one closer?

(*<
[]<
/\
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35609 is a reply to message #35509 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
So far -

claning goes to the South Bay regularly, but could go to Berkeley; Wed/Fri evenings work best.

Aaron is local to that area.

The days I end up in Berkeley tend to be Fridays, but can often do other weekend days, and could probably do most evenings.

elzebrook thinks that SF will be too far and would like something closer to her (does Berkeley count? Amtrak to BART is a possibility, if you don't have a car; there used to be a UCD to UCB shuttle for students, if you qualify and it still exists).

---

Seems like so far, Berkeley is the best choice? Possibly on a Friday?

Ideas for specific dates/times (11/12 and 12/10 would work best for me, but as I said, if it's in the evening, I ought to be able to make almost any date)? Location?
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35708 is a reply to message #35509 ] Sat, 30 October 2010 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would not be able to make it on November twelfth. December tenth looks plausible.

As to venues in Berkeley if that turns out to be the location: There are a number of appealing patisseries in town. Crixa Cakes and Masse's are my favorites but La Farine and the Market Hall Bakery are also very nice. I don't know that such places stay open very late, seven for La Farine and Crixa, and six for Masse's if I remember correctly. The cake at Market Hall is not quite up to the others but it is right at Rockridge BART station if that is relevant and while they are less of a room than a collection of tables in between the shop counters their web site claims that they are open until eight.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35731 is a reply to message #35586 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wish I could offer a ride, but if it's a Weds/Fri when I'm going down to or coming back from my 2-days-a-week in the South Bay I won't be much help there.

Unfortunately November 12th is out for me -- I'm staying with a friend that week who is recovering from surgery. December 10th looks much more promising. I've penciled it in.

+
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35735 is a reply to message #35509 ] Sun, 31 October 2010 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
Friday, December 10. Where? What time?

I have been to Crixa, and it was good. I have no objections to going somewhere else though. If they're not open late enough, we could probably meet at some bookshop or coffee shop or something and possibly bring our own pastries?

Alternatively, a Sacramento PRC has been proposed; I should be able to get there without too much trouble, and that way elzebrook is more likely to be able to make it? Though I don't know whether Aaron would be able to go. Or we could have two events +/- overlap in attendees?

We could also advertise, at least a little? I know that Berkeley has got to have book stores, and one assumes that at least one person at the university has read Robin's books and might be interested and probably has bulletin boards all over... I have no problem posting signs nearer where I live, but I'm not sure all that many people would want to go that far, though I do have a couple friends who might be interested.

[Updated on: Sun, 31 October 2010 16:39]

Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35785 is a reply to message #35735 ] Mon, 01 November 2010 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus wrote on Sun, 31 October 2010 14:38

We could also advertise, at least a little? I know that Berkeley has got to have book stores, and one assumes that at least one person at the university has read Robin's books and might be interested and probably has bulletin boards all over... I have no problem posting signs nearer where I live, but I'm not sure all that many people would want to go that far, though I do have a couple friends who might be interested.

This is virtuous, good for Robin, and consistent with the spirit of the event; but beyond what I am personally prepared to get involved with. Another forum member or five was pushing my comfort zone as it was so I think I am out of my depth here.
I would expect that an enterprising bookstore would be delighted to have you bring in a bunch of readers. You might try "The Other Change of Hobbit" if you are still thinking about Berkeley, they do a variety of events.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35805 is a reply to message #35785 ] Mon, 01 November 2010 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
Aaron wrote on Mon, 01 November 2010 13:10

equus_peduus wrote on Sun, 31 October 2010 14:38

This is virtuous, good for Robin, and consistent with the spirit of the event; but beyond what I am personally prepared to get involved with. Another forum member or five was pushing my comfort zone as it was so I think I am out of my depth here.

Well then. If claning can be persuaded to definitively say "yes," then we would have the minimum three required to make it official. I do have a friend who has been required recently (by me) to read a couple books by Robin who might be interested, but may or may not be able to make it. Fewer people does mean a higher chance to win the free book Smile

Quote:

I would expect that an enterprising bookstore would be delighted to have you bring in a bunch of readers. You might try "The Other Change of Hobbit" if you are still thinking about Berkeley, they do a variety of events.

I expect that if you will not be attending, than claning and I will probably default into the Sacramento PRC that has been proposed, since it doesn't appear that there's much other Bay Area interest. Let us know Smile
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35807 is a reply to message #35509 ] Mon, 01 November 2010 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
Oh, and, despite what Black Bear posted on the main blog, the date that I was proposing (which does not necessarily have to be the date chosen, if it causes trouble for others) is Friday, December 10. Smile

This will be a good thing, because I am going on a trip at the end of this month, and I am hoping to virtuously leave Pegasus unread until then. We shall see if my willpower holds out. If we had chosen the earlier, November, date, then I would have *had* to read it before the trip... Razz
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35825 is a reply to message #35807 ] Tue, 02 November 2010 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
Sorry about that--I was doing a lot of updates in a hurry last night. Please, if I make a mistake on the updates, PM me asap and we'll get it fixed! I can't edit a post myself, so the sooner I can get that info to robin the sooner we'll get it corrected. Thanks!

Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35901 is a reply to message #35509 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sequoia_sempervirens  is currently offline Sequoia_sempervirens
I'm in Santa Cruz and super interested! I'm driving a van load of youth up to the Mission for a youth conference on the morning of 12/11 and am available after 10 am that Saturday. I know folks have talked about Friday, but I don't think I can make the drive twice in less than 24 hours. Are folks available on Saturday?
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35930 is a reply to message #35805 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm actually more inclined to go Sacramento, purely because I'm more familiar with the area and parking is generally much easier to find. I'd hate trying to navigate after dark in Berkeley.

But OTOH, if SF Bay Area is all that's on offer, I'll go to that.

It also depends on the date, because I'm in the South Bay two days almost every week.

I suppose I should just say I'm waffling..... Wink

+
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35937 is a reply to message #35805 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus wrote on Mon, 01 November 2010 20:17

Fewer people does mean a higher chance to win the free book Smile

I expect that most of us will already have copies (even if they don't intend to read them until PegII comes out) so this is probably not a primary motivation.

I expect that if you will not be attending, than claning and I will probably default into the Sacramento PRC that has been proposed, since it doesn't appear that there's much other Bay Area interest. Let us know Smile

If it looks like Sacramento is going to be able to put together an appealing event you shouldn't feel an obligation to go west. The whole "westward runs the course of empire" idea was discredited some time ago.
As a matter of reference for possible generic McKinley and Cake purposes how early on a Friday does "evening" start?
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #35954 is a reply to message #35937 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
Aaron wrote on Wed, 03 November 2010 16:08

Fewer people does mean a higher chance to win the free book Smile

I expect that most of us will already have copies (even if they don't intend to read them until PegII comes out) so this is probably not a primary motivation.

Eh. Free stuff is always good Razz Personally, I bought the e-book version now (but will...not...open...until trip...), and plan to buy the paperback when it's out because paperbacks take up less space. But if I win a free one, then I probably wouldn't buy the paperback later. And if you end up with the free book, then you get to decide what to do with it - give it to friend? Keep as loaner copy? donate to library? etc.

If it looks like Sacramento is going to be able to put together an appealing event you shouldn't feel an obligation to go west. The whole "westward runs the course of empire" idea was discredited some time ago.

claning wrote on Wed, 03 November 2010 15:15

I'm actually more inclined to go Sacramento, purely because I'm more familiar with the area and parking is generally much easier to find. I'd hate trying to navigate after dark in Berkeley.

But OTOH, if SF Bay Area is all that's on offer, I'll go to that.

It also depends on the date, because I'm in the South Bay two days almost every week.

I don't really care where it is, ultimately - I'm willing to drive 1-1.5h in whatever direction necessary, if I'm not already busy that day. For me, this covers an area ranging from San Jose to Napa, and east to Sacramento. Berkeley sounded like a place that might work because of Aaron's proximity, and the fact that claning and I both have been known to go through it periodically. If anybody has any better suggestions, then I'm all for it Smile

As a matter of reference for possible generic McKinley and Cake purposes how early on a Friday does "evening" start?

Doesn't matter to me. I generally consider "evening" to be 5 or 6-ish, but it could be earlier or later, depending on who's coming and when they're available.

Sequoia_sempervirens wrote on Wed, 03 November 2010 01:34

I'm in Santa Cruz and super interested! I'm driving a van load of youth up to the Mission for a youth conference on the morning of 12/11 and am available after 10 am that Saturday. I know folks have talked about Friday, but I don't think I can make the drive twice in less than 24 hours. Are folks available on Saturday?

I am available after about 2 on Saturday the 11th (which is to say, I get off work not long before that, so will need to add driving time i

Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36001 is a reply to message #35954 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm tied up on Saturday December 11th, and unfortunately it's not very movable (dates in December get sticky because of the holidays).

Friday the 10th I expect to be coming back to Davis from the South Bay, so Berkeley would be a better location. OTOH I could use the excuse to come back early Friday to go to something in Sacramento.

Hmmm. Been a long time since I had a good waffle Wink

+
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36023 is a reply to message #35509 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
And then my boss decides that the not-quite-mandatory office xmas party is going to be on the 10th. AAAARGGGGH. Sigh. This will be in the evening (like 6:30ish). I am, however, not working that day.

Are there any other dates that work for people? Does the Sac/Davis group have anything planned or hoped for? This would probably mean that Sequoia wouldn't be able to go, and it sounds like Aaron might not want to, but claning still does, I still do, and there are at least 2 people in Davis who may be interested?
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36027 is a reply to message #36023 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, drat. Sorry, I'm really not in a position to take over organizing: I've got too many other things sucking all the brains out of my head right now and they're not leaving much behind. (Pretty much just the ability to read a few blogs, eat bonbons, read escape fiction, and go to bed early.)

+
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36051 is a reply to message #35509 ] Fri, 05 November 2010 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jjmcgaffey  is currently offline jjmcgaffey
I'm willing to come; if we go someplace where we want to bring cake/cookies/etc I'm happy to bake. My schedule is very flexible (10th works, as of now; so does the 11th, etc). I'd be delighted if it were in Berkeley...I might make it if it's in Sacramento, or not (that's a long drive for me). I'm in Alameda. Maybe a carpool from the East Bay to Sac? Extend the fun.

jjm
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36081 is a reply to message #35509 ] Fri, 05 November 2010 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
I've just received an email from somebody who is also interested in Berkeley.

If jjmcgaffey, Sequoia, the person who emailed me, +/- Aaron, +/- claning commit, then the event can be held with or without me.

It sounds like we might have slightly more interest in the 11th of December. If I'm going, then it will need to be after 2:30 or 3pm.

If I'm not going (because it turns out the time that works for everyone else doesn't work for me), then somebody else will need to be the 'organizer,' (i.e., take roll and stuff). If I am unable to make the Berkeley meet, then I will probably try to go to the Sac meet (which I might do anyway).

Am I making sense?

Please let me/us know - do you really want to come? Does the 10th or the 11th work better? About what time? If you really want to come but can't make it on those dates, what are your suggestions?
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36099 is a reply to message #36081 ] Sat, 06 November 2010 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really want to come and can make Nov 11. Times that are best for me are between noon and 6 pm.

I don't think I want to drive all the way to Sacramento.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36136 is a reply to message #36099 ] Sun, 07 November 2010 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
You mean December 11, right? Smile

Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36204 is a reply to message #36136 ] Mon, 08 November 2010 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, Dec 11. Thanks Black Bear!
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36254 is a reply to message #35509 ] Mon, 08 November 2010 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aelia  is currently offline Aelia
I would love to do a gathering in Berkeley (if it can be done the afternoon of Dec 10th, or the evening of Dec 11th, as I work Saturdays doing crafts with kids), and if it falls through, I drive a hybrid, and am not a crazy driver, and could make time to carpool up to Sac if necessary.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 November 2010 23:11]

Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36259 is a reply to message #36081 ] Tue, 09 November 2010 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
So the story so far as I understand it:

Dec 11th, Saturday, Berkeley.

Sequoia can make it between noon and 6pm
I can make it after 3ish (later is better)
Aelia can make it in the evening.
jjmcgaffey is likely to be available.

claning will not be able to attend.

Aaron hasn't posted in a while.

The gal who emailed BlackBear (we shall call her "A" until she tells me her name may be shared) who is interested has not yet confirmed whether this, or another, date works for her.

What is defined as "evening" for Aelia? That is to say, are the times Sequoia (possibly the farthest traveller?) and Aelia propose mutually exclusive?

Anybody have suggestions for a location? Aaron posted a few suggestions somewhere in this thread; I've personally been to Crixa Cakes and can confirm that they have tasty dessertish things, but I am totally open to suggestions, as I am never loath to try new places to get something sweet and bad for me. Or we could meet somewhere that is not a pastry shop and make it a potluck of sorts and bring our own cakes.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36260 is a reply to message #36259 ] Tue, 09 November 2010 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Evening" for me constitutes anything after 4pm. If you need to start earlier, I can attempt to be there earlier (as early as 3pm) or I can arrive a bit late.

I am not entirely familiar with much in Berkeley which is not walking distance from the College/Downtown BART. I frequent Games of Berkeley, but I don't think that it would be the best venue for our gathering.

I would prefer something which is BART-able, and if it is not, I would love for it to be near relatively easy parking. I am, however, not the sort to be deterred if we cannot meet these conditions.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36294 is a reply to message #36259 ] Tue, 09 November 2010 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus wrote on Mon, 08 November 2010 23:20

So the story so far as I understand it:

Dec 11th, Saturday, Berkeley.

Aaron hasn't posted in a while.

My Saturday schedule is always uncertain. Since I won't be able to commit I am trying to stay out of the discussion. Come the day I will attend if I can.
equus_peduus wrote on Mon, 08 November 2010 23:20

Anybody have suggestions for a location? Aaron posted a few suggestions somewhere in this thread; I've personally been to Crixa Cakes and can confirm that they have tasty dessertish things, but I am totally open to suggestions, as I am never loath to try new places to get something sweet and bad for me. Or we could meet somewhere that is not a pastry shop and make it a potluck of sorts and bring our own cakes.

Aelia wrote on Tue, 09 November 2010 00:46

I would prefer something which is BART-able, and if it is not, I would love for it to be near relatively easy parking. I am, however, not the sort to be deterred if we cannot meet these conditions.

Crixa is half a dozen blocks from Ashby BART.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36322 is a reply to message #36259 ] Tue, 09 November 2010 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marina  is currently offline Marina
I'm in Campbell, in the south bay. I am not too far from a light rail station--either Campbell, Hamilton, or Fruitdale--and could pick someone up if we were to meet down here.

I am in the neighborhood kitty-corner from the Pruneyard center, and the Hamilton exit off the 17 (it's 880 above the 280, 17 below) is the best entrance to the area, no matter which direction you started.

This is a thinly veiled way of saying, I could host it at my place, where there is plenty of parking, a very large table, plenty of tea pots and plenty kinds tea. For those who drink coffee, there're two Starbucks at Bascom & Hamilton--one next to eBay/Noah's Bagels, and the other in the Hamilton Plaza. Oh.

Am I ever dim! That latter one is large enough for 10 of us to commandeer tables and put them together, I can ask the manager there if we could have the party there. By that time, there are no pastries remaining, so bringing our own dessert fodder would not be a problem. If any of you would prefer not to darken SB's door, speak up and I won't pursue the idea.

However, Berkeley or SF are fine with me--I'd suggest sending a flyer to Borderlands Bookstore in SF (which has an adjoining cafe (wonder if we could meet there, if we were to bring goodies and buy drinks there? Open until 8 or 9pm. There is a parking garage at 21st below Valencia to use)., Books Inc in Mountain View, which has a cafe upstairs, open til 9, I believe, and down the street from a CalTrain station (Castro St., Mtn View). Kepler's in Menlo Park should get one--I am blanking on other indie Peninsula bookstores.

Twist my arm about pastry shops!

Dates: nothing seen on the 10th, I think there's something that runs all day on the 11th, from which I could escape for the evening. I can do either day, any time that day. I will not be attempting the Sacramento event.

I think I've covered everything. Ack! I didn't pre-order Pegasus. I'll see if my bookpusher in WI can get it to me in time, or whether I'll buy it around here/BookDepository.com.

Marina

A. Marina Fournier
❦If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful ❧ William Morris❦
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36327 is a reply to message #36294 ] Tue, 09 November 2010 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
Aaron wrote on Tue, 09 November 2010 15:26

My Saturday schedule is always uncertain. Since I won't be able to commit I am trying to stay out of the discussion. Come the day I will attend if I can.

I was afraid we'd scared you away. Glad you're still interested Smile

-----------

So now:

Saturday, December 11, between 4 and 6ish. This means that claning will be unable to attend Sad but so far most other people probably can (whereas at least 2 people so far will be unable to make the 10th)

People who are likely to be able to make it at the proposed time: Sequoia, Aelia, jjmcgaffey, Marina, me.

Maybe: Aaron and "A"

No: claning

----------

Location still to be determined. I know of people coming from Alameda, Berkeley, Antioch, Campbell (and Santa Cruz - Sequoia, where do you mean by "the Mission"? or am I the only one who doesn't get it?). I don't know where a couple people will be coming from, so I don't know if Berkeley makes the most sense for the most number of people, or not. Other than Sequoia, Marina would be coming the farthest if we meet in Berkeley; we could try for a location a little south of Berkeley, but then we run into uncharted territory (as far as I'm concerned, at least). Menlo Park and Mountain View (so far the proposed alternate locations) look to give more people a longerish drive (as opposed to more people a shorter drive and a couple people longish drives).

Quote:

I'd suggest sending a flyer to Borderlands Bookstore in SF (which has an adjoining cafe

At least one person has expressed unease with the idea of a really large event, as might happen if significant advertising were to occur. I personally don't care one way or the other - opinions? The other question would be whether to try to hold this at a bookstore or at a nonbookstore (e.g., cafe &/or pastry shop) - bookstore would be more likely to offer us the opportunity to do as the DC group did, which is to lasso people into the McKinley fanclub. However, the Seattle group appears to have met at a cafe.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 November 2010 23:34]

Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36328 is a reply to message #36327 ] Wed, 10 November 2010 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marina  is currently offline Marina
Now that I think about it, if we advertised it, we could possibly be inundated, and annoy the owners of wherever we meet.

Sequoia_sempervirens, if you wanted to meet me in Campbell, I would be happy to drive us to the event. Me, I balk at driving up & back to Oakland/Berkeley at night by myself (which we would probably not be doing) because I hate that stretch of 880. I would so not like to have driven from SCruz to SF (to the Mission or any other neighborhood!) or Berkeley twice in one day. Please don't ask me to drive up to the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley for a concert on a weeknight when I'll have to deal with commute traffic! Maybe 20 years ago I might have, but no spring chicken I.

In Berkeley, there is Saul's Deli http://saulsdeli.com/ which is open until 10 pm. The cheesecake is second only to Carnegie Deli's cheesecake. They have fresh-made sodas involving a specially made syrup. For instance, today's are: Cream, Ginger, Celery, Cardamom. The last is yumderful! It's a locavore place, eshews High Fructose Corn Syrup (and not just during Passover), reduces their trash & increases the percentage of recycle to trash ratio...and the food is great, the service is wonderful, they are very accomodating to dietary needs, and they've got tables that can be put together for larger groups. They are not high-priced, nor do they serve you such large portions you have to carry more than half of it home.

Okay, so it's the only half-suitable place I know in Berkeley. No, there's La Mediterrannee http://www.cafelamed.com/ Open until 11pm on Fri/Sat. I happily eat there (or at one SF location) any time I get the chance. Have never had their dessert, because I usually have either a time limit or a stomach one. I'm Lebanese, and their tabbouleh is okay, but not superior, I can't remember what nut fills their baklava, and the Chicken Cilicia would be heaven were it not for the garbanzos in the stuffing.

Marina-the-all-researching The (Re)Sourceress and older of the Jar O' Commas

A. Marina Fournier
❦If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful ❧ William Morris❦
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36329 is a reply to message #35509 ] Wed, 10 November 2010 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in Fremont, but I don't really care where we go as I have both a car and a transit pass.

Crixa sounded interesting. Saul's sounds pretty tasty. La Mediterrannee less so.

While I think it would be fun to have it in a bookstore, I am a little hesitant about turning this into something huge through advertisement. On the one hand, converting people is nice, on the other, I do not really enjoy large gatherings.

I would not mind going to Campell, but I think it's a bit far from Antioch. (Everything is far from Antioch though.)

Edit:
Looking at a bunch of markers I just put down on google maps, I'm inclined to say that Castro Valley may not be a bad alternative. I say this because coming down from Antioch via 680 is not a bad drive. Heading to Castro Valley from S.F. Berkeley, or Oakland is not a bad drive/BART ride. It's not quite as far from Campbell or Santa Cruz, and it tends to be a nice-ish area.

Of course, now that I've gone and suggested Castro Valley, I will say that I haven't a clue what may represent a good meeting place there, so this may be worth disregarding...

Google Map

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2010 02:03]

Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36333 is a reply to message #36329 ] Wed, 10 November 2010 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
equus_peduus
Aelia wrote on Tue, 09 November 2010 23:49

Looking at a bunch of markers I just put down on google maps, I'm inclined to say that Castro Valley may not be a bad alternative. I say this because coming down from Antioch via 680 is not a bad drive. Heading to Castro Valley from S.F. Berkeley, or Oakland is not a bad drive/BART ride. It's not quite as far from Campbell or Santa Cruz, and it tends to be a nice-ish area.

Of course, now that I've gone and suggested Castro Valley, I will say that I haven't a clue what may represent a good meeting place there, so this may be worth disregarding...

That's actually not that different from the conclusion I came to, which was "somewhere south of Berkeley might work, but I know nothing about the area." But if anyone has suggestions, let's do it Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2010 08:36]

Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36342 is a reply to message #36333 ] Wed, 10 November 2010 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm dropping a van full of teenagers off in the Mission District of San Francisco in the late morning on Dec. 11. From there I can turn my tail in any direction, though I prefer Berkeley, as I've convinced my friend to hold her Berkeley housewarming party later that evening to further minimize my Bay Area driving.

I'm not particularly fussed about how big or not the event gets. Both would make me happy.

I'm not excited about meeting at Starbucks, but as I don't have a better suggestion to contribute, I will do my best to attend any location.

I am excited about how thoughtfully people are engaging in this discussion to make this gathering work well for the most people possible. Kudos to everyone.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36344 is a reply to message #35509 ] Wed, 10 November 2010 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a Peets coffee just outside of Downtown Berkeley {Bart}. (I think it's Peets?) I know it's not Starbucks, but they have a surplus of tables (some of them quite large) and I imagine it would be easy for a small group to take them over.

Crixia's sounded good (I do like baked goods) and Saul's sounded yummy, most especially for their sodas. I have a couple friends who go to Cal who I've asked about good meeting places, if any of them get back to me with something promising, I'll let you know.

I really don't mind Berkeley, it's a good town with tons of stuff, but I'm not familiar with anything there, so I'm game for anything.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2010 13:40]

Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36347 is a reply to message #36327 ] Wed, 10 November 2010 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's OK, it looks like I will be able to make the December 18th gathering in Sacramento. Maybe for PEGII?

+
Re: San Francisco Bay Area, CA - PRC [message #36383 is a reply to message #36347 ] Thu, 11 November 2010 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
equus_peduus
claning wrote on Wed, 10 November 2010 12:42

That's OK, it looks like I will be able to make the December 18th gathering in Sacramento. Maybe for PEGII?

I'm glad you'll make it to the other one Smile Yay.

So I think that we have the minimum of 3 confirmed people (me, Sequoia and Aelia). It appears that 4pm on Dec 11 is our time and date. This means I can send off for our kit of goodies. If there are no objections, I will email BlackBear on Sunday.

Smile Yay.
Previous Topic:Any other forum readers in Christchurch NZ for a PRC?
Next Topic:SE Michigan PRC!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 17 13:35:43 CST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05076 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.