Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Blog Post Discussion » Really bad timing
Really bad timing [message #61917] Thu, 12 January 2017 19:47 Go to next message
Robin  is currently offline Robin
[Hellgoddess]
http://robinmckinleysblog.com/2017/01/13/really-bad-timing-r eally-really-really-bad-timing/
Re: Really bad timing [message #61918 is a reply to message #61917 ] Thu, 12 January 2017 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
glinda  is currently offline glinda

*Sympathy* on the missed concert. I would be very much less than happy, too. (Hmmmm. A pianist I don't even know of? Must track down a recording.) (If I have to miss my Seattle Opera performance of Traviata next week, I'll be in a similar state.)

Once upon a very long time ago, after reading _Diet for a Small Planet_ and other, similar books, I went mostly vegetarian, with an occasional serving of salmon (hey, Pacific Northwest, we have tasty, tasty salmon!) or Dungeness crab.

Then I got CFS/ME. (I was ... I'm not sure "lucky" is the word I want, but I was diagnosed within about six months of onset, and that just doesn't happen.) About a year later, my rheumatologist mentioned that some of his patients did better if they ate red meat at least once a week. Turns out I'm one of those - nothing like having one's body betray one's only-for-me-I-don't-dictate-to-others ethics. (Nothing like having one's body betray oneself in many other ways, come to think of it...)

[Yikes, I've not been around here for far too long.]

Music my rampart, and my only one.
-- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Re: Really bad timing [message #61919 is a reply to message #61917 ] Thu, 12 January 2017 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nat  is currently offline Nat
Bummer on missing the concert! Umming and ahhhing over $75 tickets to take my kiddlets in to see the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra playing Pixar movie themes... (hey, they've got to start somewhere)... it's a pretty big splash of money for us, but I think they'd enjoy it. They do Piano and Drums, so I'm hoping they'll follow Mum's footsteps with vague appreciation of the classicals, and not just when they're used in car commercials. (They were singing along in 'fake German' gibberish to Beethoven's 5th over the Christmas holidays, which made me smile.)

Hope the singing works with Turnip and Penis. I thought Meryl Streep's speech at the golden globes was a triumph. Hopefully there'll be more of that, (thoughtful intelligent pushback), and less media screeching as time goes on. I don't think Turnip will last full term, although maybe that's just my wishful thinking. Sigh. Now I've depressed myself just thinking about it, and I'm not even American.

On a positive note - two drawings to go, and my illustrated kid's book is ready to hawk around. Only taken me 3 years. Having kids does tend to mess with available time. Like, remove it completely, so that any time spent on creative artistic endeavour has to be guiltily spent in frantic haste with one eye on the clock. I'm sure it will be rejected by all and sundry, but at least I'll have FINISHED it, and given it a go!
Re: Really bad timing [message #61920 is a reply to message #61917 ] Thu, 12 January 2017 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blondviolinist  is currently offline blondviolinist
Ouch! That hurts! So sorry about the concert. Sad

Quote:

I was talking a friend recently about ways to deal with anxiety. With Turnip and Penis due into the White House any minute now us wet knee-jerk liberals are having palpitations and panic attacks.

Or even us with a halfway decent grasp of history and politics. Siiiigh. Yes, I've been looking for ways to deal with anxiety, too. Walks outside. Spinning/knitting/weaving with beautiful fiber while listening to a floofy audiobook. (Why, hello, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE. Yes. You'll be perfect.)

Yes, please, on blogging about books you've enjoyed! I know I found out about Maggie Stiefvater first via this blog, and a number of other books, too!

"Purity of heart is to will one thing." Kirkegaard
Re: Really bad timing [message #61921 is a reply to message #61917 ] Thu, 12 January 2017 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Diane in MN  is currently offline Diane in MN
I missed NORMA some years ago because of snow--started out, saw a couple of spin-outs not even on the highway, and decided retreat was a better option--better than going in the ditch, for sure, but depressing all the same. I wish the performing-arts world would give tradition the old heave-ho and change the season to NOT WINTER.

"The point of books is to have way too many but to always feel you never have enough . . . " Louise Erdrich
Re: Really bad timing [message #61922 is a reply to message #61917 ] Fri, 13 January 2017 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blogmom  is currently offline Blogmom
[Administrator]
OMG Mitsuko Uchida. Major bummer! Winter just sucks for travel.

We are missing out on a visit from favorite nephew over the long weekend because of the oncoming monster Midwest icestorm.

As for politics, so many of us have Post Election Stress Disorder...

[Updated on: Fri, 13 January 2017 10:59]

Re: Really bad timing [message #61923 is a reply to message #61917 ] Sat, 14 January 2017 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rikke  is currently offline Rikke
Fingers crossed for your hair!

I am still eating only vegetarian food. I have to taste meat dishes though, is it too or not enough - sweet, salty spicy – whatever, and I had a funny moment just before yule, when I made ‘Daube’ - a Boeuf Bourguignon type of stew. The sauce tasted good, the meat a large piece of brisket from a grass fed organic oxen, still it was from a new vendor, so I found it prudent to try it out. I cut a piece in half. Tender. I put it in my mouth and began chewing. Fine. But then my jaws seemed to keep on chewing, like regular small mortars. Stop chewing you stupid cow. All the way to the trash can, and as I spat this completely sucked dry piece of fiber out, I did have some doubts about what the oxen in question would say – AND THEN YOU WONT EAT THAT - REALLY! I do not know if I will be vegetarian for the rest of my life, but I am pretty certain that I will function as a vegetarian in public life, so IF I at some point begin eating meat again, I will have control about how the animal had a life.

Snow moon! No snow here, but perhaps tomorrow, fingers crossed again. Snow wood.

PS The story about the Witch Changeable, perhaps hag, with the sometimes very long nose, and the very large flying cardboard box which was really a needle case, the ghostly dogs and the cranky dolphin, it had me grinning all through cooking yesterday.

Re: Really bad timing [message #61924 is a reply to message #61917 ] Wed, 18 January 2017 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mrs Redboots  is currently offline Mrs Redboots
I eat a great deal of vegetarian and vegan food, but would not go completely vegetarian on principle! I also like meat and fish too much to give them up completely, but I try not to eat them too often. I find I want more meat in the winter than I do in summer, though.

Bummer about the snow causing you to miss the concert. We had an awful moment a couple of weeks ago - we were on our way to Spain in our motor home, and it hadn't occurred to me that while it would doubtless be lovely and warm in Spain (it was!), it would not be so on the Massif Central on our way there. The motor home did *not* like -13 C, and the water pipes froze.... for several hours, we thought we'd be sadly on our way home. Luckily, we got away with it, and they didn't split, so once everything warmed up and thawed out, we had a lovely holiday. And we discovered last night that it will "do" -5 C without freezing up, so that's all right!

Mrs Redboots
I love my computer because my friends live in it!
Re: Really bad timing [message #61932 is a reply to message #61917 ] Mon, 23 January 2017 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gwyn_sully  is currently offline gwyn_sully
Ugh, snow. I've been living somewhere with a Real Winter for 6 years now, and every year I am still surprised and offended by how much of a pain snow is. I sympathize deeply with your missed concert. I missed a bluegrass group I wanted to see on their final tour... almost a decade ago at this point. My father said at the time I would get over it. HA! I have done no such thing.

I'm a big believer in the idea that everyone's body just demands different diets. Me, I tend to go vegetarian in a crisis, and I start to feel really terrible if I eat too much meat. But I also have a close friend who is useless if she doesn't start her day with animal-based-protien. *shrug* I'd say "it's just a matter of listening" but that makes it sound straightforward and easy, which is a terrible lie.
Re: Really bad timing [message #61933 is a reply to message #61917 ] Mon, 23 January 2017 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danceswithpahis  is currently offline danceswithpahis
So sorry to hear about missing the concert. Missing a performance like that when you're really looking forward to it is.... awful. I don't know if I dare wish you a third opportunity to go to her concert, but I will anyway.

As someone living in the US right now, I am feeling cautiously optimistic that the next 4 years will be slightly less horrible than I have been assuming they would be. Currently I am buoyed up by this past weekend's march; 5 million (-ish) people on all 7 continents (go Antarctica!) supporting women and women's issues affected me more than I would have thought possible. (I have a good friend who is a professional photographer and posted pictures on her FB page; I wasn't able to make it to the march but kept tearing up when I saw them.) And while a march isn't something to make changes per se, all of the progressive/liberal news lists I'm on have been trying to ride the wave of passion demonstrated this weekend. They're coming up with things like "10 Action Steps for the First 100 Days", or "Here is the contact info for your representatives, here are some issues to call them about, pick the one[s] you feel most passionately about and make a call." Apparently Emily's List (an organization I haven't heard of that trains women on how to run for political office, among other things) has a new 500 women they are training for campaigns (I believe this # refers to my area but it could be in general). And so on. There are still many things to feel dismally about, but at least people are standing up for what they believe in.

"People who do well as vegetarians or vegans, that’s great. But if you are really trying to do the meat-free thing and are being careful about your vitamins and your proteins and all that stuff, and you’re not doing well, remember that not everybody is built to live that way, okay? If for example your hair is falling out and your legs barely work any more . . . um. A steak or a large platter of chicken liver may be the answer.

I was just having this conversation with a devout vegan the other day; we are omnivores, not herbivores, and we can't escape biology. Some people, as you pointed out, are able to manage and find ways to survive or even thrive, but many of us can't do that. This is especially true for people who have allergies to some of the main plant-based proteins like soy or nuts.

I am careful about where I get my meat and eggs, try to be careful about where I get my dairy, but the one time I tried to go completely vegetarian (not even vegan; admittedly, I didn't know enough about nutrition to do it the "right" way) I spent a few months feeling constantly hungry even after eating plenty of food, and finally one day broke down and had some chicken noodle soup. That soup was one of the best things I'd ever tasted (cheap soup in a can from a gas station so you know this was ONLY because I'd been needing nutrients from animals), and I've tried to be

"Oh good! My dog found the chainsaw!"

-- Lilo ("Lilo and Stitch")
Re: Really bad timing [message #61944 is a reply to message #61917 ] Sat, 11 February 2017 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
judith  is currently offline judith
Quote:

I managed to unhook the insanely uncooperative latch (I’m sardonically a bit pleased that even proper garage persons have trouble with Wolfgang’s bonnet latch)

May or may not help: try pushing down a bit on the hood as you try to unlatch it. Although if the garage people have trouble with it it may not help, since they are likely to know this trick. Still, worth a try. It helped me a lot when I had trouble with mine.
Re: Really bad timing [message #61975 is a reply to message #61917 ] Wed, 22 November 2017 05:05 Go to previous message
Corellia  is currently offline Corellia
I know this is a very old post. I hope things are going better in Robin's world. I've been struggling with illness for the last year or so, but I was pretty sure it wasn't ME (mostly from reading this blog). I have a different diagnosis and a treatment that actually works at this point. Still, I found this Ted Talks very moving: https://www.ted.com/talks/jen_brea_what_happens_when_you_hav e_a_disease_doctors_can_t_diagnose#t-1015872

It made me think about Robin, and so I wanted to share it here.
Previous Topic:3 January 2017
Next Topic:Blog posts via email
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 17 13:46:57 CST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05994 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.