Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Talk » Summer-ish postcard
Summer-ish postcard [message #61964] Wed, 05 July 2017 08:34 Go to next message
Rikke  is currently offline Rikke
So this was going to be an early summer postcard, but has transformed itself into a high summer greeting with a May picture of one of my favorite oak trees. The wood where I most often walk has many old oaks, this is not the oldest, but definitely one of the seniors. It is called Vorteegen (the wart oak), because it has this skin condition – I fail to translate it. It is called 'fugleoejeved' or 'vanris' in my language. Not exactly what you call water sprout (I think), but something in that area. It is guessed to be around 800 years old and it is almost 10 meters around the trunk. My niece says, it looks like an old lady who ate way too many cookies. (I took the picture below from its old woman perspective) But pictures does not do it justice. Trees almost always look way to small on photographs and this really does! I consider somewhere beneath its branches as a perfect spot for drinking tea, when I go there after work – wiring down. And one last thing (a completely unscientific observation), when people sometimes come there same time, they mostly go and place their palm somewhere on the trunk first thing. Which reminds me of another oak a while back on a walk with before mentioned niece. She looked thrilled at it, put her hand on the trunk and said “hallo old tree, I think your name is Ole”. She then chatted amicably with Ole the Tree for a while, and I like to think that the bemused surprise was not mine alone. “OLE” – really! Also really interesting, boundaries and consciousness! Luckily this is a very large card and I am now down to the very, very small writing at the edge of the paper, not leaving out the most important thing. I HOPE YOU ARE WELL!

Hugs
index.php?t=getfile&id=769&private=0

Re: Summer-ish postcard [message #61965 is a reply to message #61964 ] Wed, 05 July 2017 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rikke  is currently offline Rikke
Extra - Smile
index.php?t=getfile&id=770&private=0

Re: Summer-ish postcard [message #61969 is a reply to message #61965 ] Sun, 23 July 2017 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sheerasmom  is currently offline sheerasmom
Beautiful Pictures. I love oak trees. I think Ole is a great name since Fangorn is already taken Wink

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.” Mila Kundera
Re: Summer-ish postcard [message #61970 is a reply to message #61964 ] Tue, 01 August 2017 22:15 Go to previous message
shalea  is currently offline shalea
Gorgeous photos!
Previous Topic:Sharing the love of the books
Next Topic:Welcomes & Introductions #2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 17 10:38:35 CDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02349 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.