Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Talk » Learning bell ringing - an accomplishment!
Re: Learning bell ringing - an accomplishment! [message #61943 is a reply to message #61942 ] Wed, 08 February 2017 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tassiegal  is currently offline tassiegal
Probably!! I mean when you look at it its an obscure thing to do!
ANZAB in your patch next year I believe???
Re: Learning bell ringing - an accomplishment! [message #61955 is a reply to message #19713 ] Fri, 21 April 2017 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Julia  is currently offline Julia
Gosh, it's been an age since I posted on the forum. But I had an excellent time at tower practice on Wednesday and I had to share this with people who would understand.

I started going to tower practice and handbells a few months ago. I'm learning quite slowly, especially in tower, where I get maybe 10 minutes of handling during a two hour practice, but things seem to have clicked at last - I'm pulling both strokes in rounds and I'm in control of the bell (which wasn't always the case, at least until about three practices ago).

And more exciting still - I've now managed (twice!) to ring a touch of Bob Minor on handbells with someone calling changes.

It's all finally starting to make sense!
Re: Learning bell ringing - an accomplishment! [message #61956 is a reply to message #61955 ] Tue, 25 April 2017 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well done you! I havent even THOUGHT about handbells - I struggle enough with trying to remember 1 blue line, let alone two! that will stand you in good stead in the tower.
Re: Learning bell ringing - an accomplishment! [message #61957 is a reply to message #61956 ] Tue, 25 April 2017 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audrey Falconer  is currently offline Audrey Falconer
We have handbells at St James Old Cathedral and get them out sometimes.

They are old and don't strike terribly well. Rather like the tower bells there! Smile

It is amazingly confusing trying to ring methods on hand bells. I can just about ring rounds....

Audrey
Re: Learning bell ringing - an accomplishment! [message #61958 is a reply to message #61957 ] Tue, 25 April 2017 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remind me to nag you about them next time I come visit then!
Re: Learning bell ringing - an accomplishment! [message #61959 is a reply to message #61958 ] Wed, 26 April 2017 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audrey Falconer  is currently offline Audrey Falconer
Old cardboard box on the floor behind the 5 is where they live.

Coming back sometime soon? Hoping!
Re: Learning bell ringing - an accomplishment! [message #61960 is a reply to message #61959 ] Wed, 26 April 2017 00:28 Go to previous message
in Melbourne on the 19th for the day (I want to stay but work is organising trip, and its to Werribee, so totally wrong side of town... also dog will need cuddles, so will need to get home).
Am planning trip soonish, but will need to find dog friendly accommodation.
Previous Topic:Looking Forward To...
Next Topic:Sharing the love of the books
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 23 03:46:49 CDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03508 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.