Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Blog Post Discussion » 3 January 2017
3 January 2017 [message #61902] Wed, 04 January 2017 11:26 Go to next message
Robin  is currently offline Robin
[Hellgoddess]
http://robinmckinleysblog.com/2017/01/04/3-january-2017/
Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61903 is a reply to message #61902 ] Wed, 04 January 2017 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJLR  is currently offline AJLR
[Moderator]
Quote:

At least the shortest frelling day is PAST for another year. Daylight is GOOD. I’m looking forward to MORE of it.

I am entirely with you, re the daylight. The evening has now drawn out by 17 minutes and tomorrow is the day when the sunrise starts getting earlier too - I know, from 08.01 to 08.00 is not much, but still...

That's an interesting layout, for the lodge! Is the upstairs similar? Smile

"Never let a computer know you're in a hurry."
Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61904 is a reply to message #61902 ] Wed, 04 January 2017 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blogmom  is currently offline Blogmom
[Administrator]
We complain about short days here at 40N but you Brits have it worse.

I lived at 50N as a kid. Cannot imagine how people get through the winter further north. Vodka, I guess.
Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61905 is a reply to message #61902 ] Thu, 05 January 2017 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Diane in MN  is currently offline Diane in MN
I'm with you about the weather--we got freezing rain on Jan. 2, and while the roads are in good condition--they pretreat them before a storm and also salt/sand/whatever during and after--driveways and sidewalks are glare ice and the paths in the snow are ice and the untrodden snow is crusted. Temps are now in the single digits F or lower through the end of the week, so that ice isn't going anywhere any time soon. I cringe every time Teddy goes out.

"The point of books is to have way too many but to always feel you never have enough . . . " Louise Erdrich
Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61906 is a reply to message #61902 ] Thu, 05 January 2017 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mrs Redboots  is currently offline Mrs Redboots
I think the worst winter darkness is in France, where I am heading off in a couple of hours! It is an hour later than us, and much of it is simply a few miles due south, so it gets dark an hour later, which is nice, but it gets light an hour later, too - imagine it not being light when you go to work in the morning, and already dark when you come home! At least they take a long lunch hour, so they do get to see some daylight.

I always think January is like Narnia - always winter and never Christmas. But February - do you remember, those of who who enjoy Miss Read's books, how Miss Clare said she liked February, because it was just light enough for a walk after tea, and after that it became a "thing" that Miss Read and Miss Clare did together.

Mrs Redboots
I love my computer because my friends live in it!
Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61907 is a reply to message #61902 ] Thu, 05 January 2017 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harpergray  is currently offline harpergray
I've been enjoying the various goose shenanigans. Goose was never a Christmas food for me--or a food at all, really. My mother hated it, and so never cooked it nor taught me how to cook it. This Christmas was the first without my mother - the first 'hated goose' rather than 'hates goose' - and coincidentally also the first time I've eaten goose, ever. No, no: I didn't make it. I loaned my oven to the neighbour to cook their second goose, and in return was invited to share the bounty. Having lost my mother comparatively recently (we were very close), being surrounded by a big family having dinner and singing Christmas carols nearly made me cry. So, um, yes. Sympathising on many levels. Copious sharing of internet chocolate.
Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61908 is a reply to message #61902 ] Thu, 05 January 2017 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rikke  is currently offline Rikke
I bought a small yule tree for work and took it home the last day before the holidays. It has roots and until now it is thriving, but the RESPONSIBILITY. I have to find a safe place where it can grow, and keep it from thinking “ah, spring” the next couple of months (luckily my apartment is cold). At first I considered bringing it to the wood where I walk the most, but I am pretty sure the foresters there would spot an unauthorized yule tree immediately. I think I have to bring it to the place where my parents live, they have room in their garden, or perhaps the local farmers will not notice a yule tree suddenly appearing in a hedge between the fields. Probably not. In either case we have to go for a train ride. Another difficulty is the frost, it will be painful to dig a hole at the moment, but the tree will be more vulnerable left in its pot, and would I trust anyone to water it through a winter-spring dry spell? I do not own a spade. I do not have time for a visit the next couple of months. What happens to all the other potted yule trees people buy? Is there a secret wood somewhere? Sign. I did not think about that, when I went past the grocery store in late November. Poor little tree in urgent need of liberation BY ME.

Next year I might just paint a tree on the wall. Wonder what alien anthropologists will make of that in 5000 years!
Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61910 is a reply to message #61904 ] Fri, 06 January 2017 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shalea  is currently offline shalea
Blogmom wrote on Wed, 04 January 2017 17:30

We complain about short days here at 40N but you Brits have it worse.

I lived at 50N as a kid. Cannot imagine how people get through the winter further north. Vodka, I guess.

I'm down here at 35N and struggle from November 'til late January or so despite having a bright full-spectrum light on my desk.
Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61945 is a reply to message #61908 ] Mon, 20 February 2017 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope you are all right with all neurons sparkling, reading, writing and anticipating a new planting season!

Here some pics of the yule tree on its way. Notice the bright green sprigs on its top, even though I turned the heating of in my living room (love woolly sweaters), it was way to luxurious warm inside. A nice lady held the tree in place, so I could get a picture of it seated in the bus.
index.php?t=getfile&id=766&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 20 February 2017 16:00]

Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61946 is a reply to message #61945 ] Mon, 20 February 2017 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A moment of crisis ahead. I was able to balance tree under one arm and coffee and cinnamon bun in the other while walking, but how to get all safely down on the train floor, considering I also had a backpack which slightly unbalanced me. Not my most ninja moment.
index.php?t=getfile&id=767&private=0

Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61947 is a reply to message #61946 ] Mon, 20 February 2017 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great, my father said, you can put it in the spot with the withered pear tree (?) The deer ate most of it. Just dig it up and throw it on the compost (!) (Smile) (!)
index.php?t=getfile&id=768&private=0

Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61948 is a reply to message #61902 ] Thu, 23 February 2017 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shalea  is currently offline shalea
Living in a pretty much exclusively car-based culture here, I am alternating between amused and bemused at the idea of carrying a live tree home on the train. Smile

I have to say I'm also impressed. I've had to travel via train from an airport to a hotel with enough luggage to contain office clothes for two full weeks (jackets, dress pants, etc.) and that was an adventure.
Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61949 is a reply to message #61948 ] Mon, 27 February 2017 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danceswithpahis  is currently offline danceswithpahis
I've never managed a live tree home on the train, but one of my all-time proudest alternate commute moments was making it to work with two pristine pies on my bicycle rack.

"Oh good! My dog found the chainsaw!"

-- Lilo ("Lilo and Stitch")
Re: 3 January 2017 [message #61950 is a reply to message #61902 ] Fri, 03 March 2017 03:55 Go to previous message
It sounds like a really heavy load with the office clothes, and the pies – in my mind baked goods and public transport combined are a risky business Smile. (I once made Sarah Bernards for a friend – and I was walking towards the bus stop with the tins, when my bus overtook me, and I of course began to run = Sarah Bernard Crumble. I had time to make new ones and daughter plus friends had a feast. But the really silly thing is, that this bus actually leaves every five minutes. Stupid instinct!). I think I have been hauling things with public transport ever since early youth, although never a tree before, but you should see me in spring, when I have been visiting my parents who have far too many rhubarbs and the herb lady who has cheap sturdy herbs for the bee garden (she gave me 12 lavenders last year!) - in addition to all the other stuff – not a pretty sight, but at least the sweating bag lady smelled very nice. Question is though, whether or not I would be doing the same overloading thing to a car, if I had one? Smile

Have a nice weekend all of you!
Previous Topic:Really bad timing
Next Topic:Blog posts via email
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 16 18:38:57 CDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02384 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.