Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Playing With Your Food » Pumpkin pie
Pumpkin pie [message #61259] Fri, 30 October 2015 13:05 Go to next message
AJLR  is currently offline AJLR
[Moderator]
So, I thought I'd try making my first pumpkin pie tomorrow, using this recipe...unless anyone has one they consider is a better one? Smile

"Never let a computer know you're in a hurry."
Re: Pumpkin pie [message #61265 is a reply to message #61259 ] Wed, 04 November 2015 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shalea  is currently offline shalea
I suspect you've already tried your experiment Smile, but my preferred recipe has some different spices you might be interested in trying, and the recipe I use supplements the brown sugar with a tablespoonful of molasses per pie.

Spices for a single pie:
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp mace
1/4 tsp ground cloves

The rest of the recipe is largely similar to yours: nonfat evaporated milk instead of heavy cream, only 2 eggs, and half a large can of prepared pumpkin (NOT the pre-spiced, pre-sweetened pumpkin pie filling).

[Updated on: Wed, 04 November 2015 22:24]

Re: Pumpkin pie [message #61266 is a reply to message #61265 ] Thu, 05 November 2015 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJLR  is currently offline AJLR
[Moderator]
Thank you! I shall try that variation next time. Smile It seems a similar sort of flavour to carrot cake (well, carrot cake as made in the UK, anyway).

"Never let a computer know you're in a hurry."
Re: Pumpkin pie [message #61273 is a reply to message #61266 ] Sat, 07 November 2015 18:38 Go to previous message
shalea  is currently offline shalea
Carrot cake? Interesting. I can see that with the spice profile of the recipe you used, though it does also occur to me to wonder how much of a flavor difference there is in the pumpkins that grow there versus here; here we have particular varieties of pumpkins intended specifically as pie pumpkins, which have more flesh/less strings, but also a more pronounced pumpkin flavor (canned pumpkin is made from the latter varieties).
Previous Topic:Favourite pancakes and fillings
Next Topic:Recipe Thread
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 20 19:41:53 CDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02397 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.