Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Announcements » Tips and Tricks » How to stick comments in other people's quotes
How to stick comments in other people's quotes [message #4413] Sun, 09 November 2008 21:59 Go to next message
Black Bear  is currently offline Black Bear
[Moderator]
Robin asked, on a recent thread, about interpolating her comments into a block quote from another post. This is do-able, just requires you to hack around a tiny bit with the code that the forum sticks in when you hit the "quote post" button. As it's my nature to say too much rather than too little, here goes.

When you hit the "quote" button, the forum gods automatically stick in a little bit of code that ensures your quoted passage is attributed correctly, and inset in a nice slightly tinted window for clarity. I'll go ahead and do a quote post here so we've got an example to work with.

"The time is always right to do what's right."--MLK Jr.
Re: How to stick comments in other people's quotes [message #4416 is a reply to message #4413 ] Sun, 09 November 2008 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
Black Bear wrote on Sun, 09 November 2008 22:59

When you hit the "quote" button, the forum gods automatically stick in a little bit of code that ensures your quoted passage is attributed correctly, and inset in a nice slightly tinted window for clarity. I'll go ahead and do a quote post here so we've got an example to work with.

OK, so when you do this, you'll see code that looks like the following--only I'm going to substitute <> brackets for the square brackets [] the forum uses.

<quote title=Black Bear wrote on Sun, 09 November 2008 22:59>

When you hit the "quote" button, the forum gods automatically stick in a little bit of code that ensures your quoted passage is attributed correctly, and inset in a nice slightly tinted window for clarity. I'll go ahead and do a quote post here so we've got an example to work with.</quote>

The first part, "quote title = black bear wrote etc" both sets you up for the inset box, and throws that nice bold header on the top reminding you who said it and when. The last part, "/quote," is the signal to the forum that the quote is ended and you're back to writing normal text.

So if "/quote" means the end of a quote box, you can manually type that anywhere you like to break the quote up. For instance,

When you hit the "quote" button, the forum gods automatically stick in a little bit of code that ensures your quoted passage is attributed correctly, and inset in a nice slightly tinted window for clarity. </quote> I'll go ahead and do a quote post here so we've got an example to work with.

would look like this when posted:

When you hit the "quote" button, the forum gods automatically stick in a little bit of code that ensures your quoted passage is attributed correctly, and inset in a nice slightly tinted window for clarity.
I'll go ahead and do a quote post here so we've got an example to work with.

But now you've lost the quote formatting on the second part of my deathless prose above. Easily fixed. Now you know that <quote> means start a quote box, and </quote> means finish it, you can put that around any other segments of text you want set off from your responses:

When you hit the "quote" button, the forum gods automatically stick in a little bit of code that ensures your quoted passage is attributed correctly, and inset in a nice slightly tinted window for clarity. </quote>

It's not THAT nice a window.

<quote>I'll go ahead and do a quote post here so we've got an example to work with.</quote>

And why are you such a knowitall anyway, fathead?

Would look like this when posted:

When you hit the "quote" button, the forum gods automatically stick in a little bit of code that ensures your quoted passage is attributed correctly, and inset in a nice slightly tinted window for clarity.

It's not THAT nice a window.

Quote:

I'll go ahead and do a quote post here so we've got an example to work with.

And why are you such a knowitall anyway, fathead?

Re: How to stick comments in other people's quotes [message #4418 is a reply to message #4416 ] Sun, 09 November 2008 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[Moderator]
So that's basically the scoop--you can put "/quote" in square brackets [] anyplace you want a quote to stop, and you can put "quote" in square brackets any place you want it to start up again. Just remember that you have to put that final "/quote" on the end of each quoted bit or your response will be stuck in the text box with everything else.

As with all things, I strongly advise hitting "Preview message" before posting, as this will help you catch if you've left some random code hanging out where it shouldn't be.

Go forth, and Quote!

Re: How to stick comments in other people's quotes [message #4429 is a reply to message #4418 ] Sun, 09 November 2008 23:10 Go to previous message
b_twin_1  is currently offline b_twin_1
[Moderator]
Black Bear wrote on Sun, 09 November 2008 23:17

As with all things, I strongly advise hitting "Preview message" before posting, as this will help you catch if you've left some random code hanging out where it shouldn't be.

Go forth, and Quote!

And if you forget to check the preview and it posts wrong then click on Edit !!! Hehe

I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel ~ Blackadder
Previous Topic:Using the Search Function
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 28 01:11:56 CDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06640 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.