Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Pollyanna's Booklist » May-June 2010 What Are You Reading?
Re: May-June 2010 What Are You Reading? [message #30200 is a reply to message #30186 ] Sun, 06 June 2010 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
L.R.K.  is currently offline L.R.K.
danceswithpahis wrote on Sat, 05 June 2010 22:48

I tried to look up "I Shall Wear Midnight", and the site I found it on listed it as the 5th book in the series, but so far I only know of three ("The Wee Free Men", "A Hat Full of Sky", and "Wintersmith"). Is there another one that I'm missing?

I think they are counting "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" as a book in the series - it isn't a Tiffany Aching book, but it is a Discworld "children's" book.

Why, I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean, like butter that has been scraped over too much bread.
Re: May-June 2010 What Are You Reading? [message #30242 is a reply to message #28836 ] Sun, 06 June 2010 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elizabitty  is currently offline elizabitty
I just went to borders and got a new book called Old Magic. i twas OK i guess... the story line was good, but the writing wasn't the greatest and every chapter switched perspectives, which kinda bugged men Sad. but other than that it was pretty good.

I took the road less traveled by.... and now I don't know where the hell I am and there is no one to ask for directions.
Re: May-June 2010 What Are You Reading? [message #30412 is a reply to message #28836 ] Fri, 11 June 2010 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim A  is currently offline Kim A
I just finished Lament, and I have to admit I wasn't thrilled with it. I would never have made it past the first hundred pages if it hadn't been recommended by several people: the crush on the otherworldly guy did make me want to throw it against the wall, but Robin said it would get better, so I persevered, and it did get better. The plot was interesting, once it got going, the fairies were well done, the writing in general was quite good. It was a first book, so I won't give up on the author yet, but I think I'll try Shiver next, since I'm not really invested in the world of Lament. (Maybe I'm just not that into fairies.)

[Updated on: Thu, 17 June 2010 11:52]

It was the only lullaby she would ever sing, and it was sung in Hell. --Laini Taylor
Re: May-June 2010 What Are You Reading? [message #30439 is a reply to message #29965 ] Sat, 12 June 2010 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NotLonely  is currently offline NotLonely
Melissa Mead wrote on Sat, 29 May 2010 20:10

Terry Pratchett's booksigning lines were so long that I stood in lines twice and never got to the front, even though he stayed for extra time. I did get to say Hi to him briefly, but he looked like all he wanted was to get away from the crowds and lie down, so I didn't ask for an autograph. He was very gracious, though. I also got to say an even briefer Hi to Neil Gaiman. Also a nice guy. In a tux, he looks like a grown-up Harry Potter as opposed to a biker dude.

I can't remember which of my Extremely Lucky Friends got to a signing, but the person in front of them asked for a cassette audiobook to be signed for a blind friend (this was a while ago, yes...) Sir TP signed, and then scrounged a sharp thing and scratched the outline of his signature. A Nice Guy, yes Smile

Ok now I'm getting close to fangurl mode. *fades out tactfully*

Life always, always finds a way.
Re: May-June 2010 What Are You Reading? [message #30817 is a reply to message #28836 ] Wed, 23 June 2010 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beauty/Anna  is currently offline Beauty/Anna
The Aeneid by Virgil—translated by Robert Fagles.

"You are your best resource for success"
Re: May-June 2010 What Are You Reading? [message #30823 is a reply to message #28836 ] Wed, 23 June 2010 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
L.R.K.  is currently offline L.R.K.
Re-reading "Howl's Moving Castle" by Diana Wynne Jones.

Why, I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean, like butter that has been scraped over too much bread.
Re: May-June 2010 What Are You Reading? [message #30842 is a reply to message #28836 ] Wed, 23 June 2010 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danceswithpahis  is currently offline danceswithpahis
Had to share both a positive and negative note, and this seemed like the place to do it. So thanks to Robin's recommendation I recently checked out "Cold Comfort Farm" and read it for the first time. I also managed to talk my book group into reading it, and we just had our discussion tonight. On the positive side, I have to say that I loved the book. It was entertaining, good at its parody, and we had a lovely time discussing it. Parodies can be kind of hit and miss, and I felt like this one was successful at meeting its goal. I would back up Robin's recommendation. On the negative side, one of the group members said near the beginning, "I think I have a different version than everyone else. Mine's shorter." Apparently she had somehow ended up with a paraphrase of the book for, oh, maybe 8th graders? Or 6th graders? Or...? For example, the original begins, "The education bestowed on Flora Poste by her parents had been expensive, athletic, and prolonged..." The paraphrase said something like, "The education Flora Poste's parents gave her was expensive, full of too many team sports, and too long..." The whole thing apparently was like that. At the end there was a glossary for some of the difficult words in the text. It included words such as bull ("an adult male cow"), milk ("to pull milk from a cow"), and tray (a flat piece of wood with raised edges often used to carry food on). I was astonished.

"Oh good! My dog found the chainsaw!"

-- Lilo ("Lilo and Stitch")
Re: May-June 2010 What Are You Reading? [message #30863 is a reply to message #30823 ] Thu, 24 June 2010 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beauty/Anna  is currently offline Beauty/Anna
L.R.K. wrote on Wed, 23 June 2010 13:38

Re-reading "Howl's Moving Castle" by Diana Wynne Jones.

Love that book.

"You are your best resource for success"
Re: May-June 2010 What Are You Reading? [message #31012 is a reply to message #28836 ] Thu, 01 July 2010 09:42 Go to previous message
Maren  is currently offline Maren
[Moderator]
This thread has been locked for archiving. Look for the current What Are You Reading thread near the top of the Pollyanna subforum.
Previous Topic:May-June 2010 Recommendation thread
Next Topic:July-August 2010 What Are You Reading?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 23 13:04:22 CDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14821 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.