Robin McKinley's Web Site .:. Robin McKinley's Blog

Robin McKinley

Official Web Forum

Home » Discussion Forums » Pollyanna's Booklist » August 2009 What Are You Reading?
icon5.gif  August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #18905] Sat, 01 August 2009 10:41 Go to next message
Maren  is currently offline Maren
[Moderator]
Here is the thread in which to discuss your current reads. If you would like to recommend a book you've read for inclusion in our LibraryThing catalog as well, please state this clearly. Thanks!

[Updated on: Wed, 09 September 2009 13:18]

Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #18972 is a reply to message #18905 ] Sun, 02 August 2009 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ravenclawgirl  is currently offline ravenclawgirl
I just finished re-reading Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. I had forgotten that Ella lives in the city of Frell, and had a small laugh over that when I opened the book.

I'm now reading Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones, and The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud.
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19174 is a reply to message #18905 ] Thu, 06 August 2009 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kfoster2047  is currently offline kfoster2047
New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear - alternate history with a great female character of "a certain age." It is structured as a series of interrelated short stories. I enjoyed it a lot.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 August 2009 21:13]

Karen
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19175 is a reply to message #18905 ] Thu, 06 August 2009 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, I can't remember if this was mentioned here before or not but I have been reading and really enjoying Martha Wells - The Element of Fire, The Death of the Necromancer, City of Bones, and the Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy.

Karen
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19243 is a reply to message #18905 ] Sat, 08 August 2009 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shalea  is currently offline shalea
Finally got around to reading Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book -- quite a good read!
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19256 is a reply to message #18905 ] Sun, 09 August 2009 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mori-neko  is currently offline Mori-neko

Picked up a bunch of fluff at the bookstore today (highly re-readable fluff, though) - the rest of the WebMage series by Kelly McCullough (hacking computers and magic and mythology) and the most recent two books by Yasmine Galenorn (paranormal romances, starring a trio of sisters with various abilities).
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19266 is a reply to message #19256 ] Sun, 09 August 2009 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I loved the Webmage books, an excellent blend of tech geekiness and fantasy.

Is there still only the three books - I think the last one I read was CodeSpell.
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19268 is a reply to message #19266 ] Sun, 09 August 2009 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Nope, there are four books out now (the newest just came out in June, and is called MythOS), and another one is due next June.
icon7.gif  Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19283 is a reply to message #18905 ] Mon, 10 August 2009 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblonsky  is currently offline Oblonsky
I am reading Saplings by Noel Streatfeild. I got the recommendation from Pollyanna's Booklist.

I've got a notebook by the PC where I write down authors and book titles. Most of them I've got from this forum! Titles get asterisks if they come recommended by more than one. I also note down which ones are available from the library.

Every so often , I have a splurge and order books!I'm awaiting some by Tamora Pierce and L.M.Montgomery .
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19299 is a reply to message #18905 ] Mon, 10 August 2009 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
librarykat  is currently offline librarykat
Another graphic novel: My Mommy is in America and She Met Buffalo Bill by Jean Regnaud and Emile Bravo. It's translated from the French and published by Fanfare/Ponent Mon. Told from the viewpoint of a little boy just starting first grade, the reader will figure out what is going on from the depictions of everyday life (fighting with little brother, visits with grandparents, playing with next-door neighbor, etc.).

Did I mention Digger by Ursula Vernon yet? I just read the second volume, and the story keeps getting better. A tough female wombat tunnel digger who finds herself in a strange world with talking statues of gods, a shadow creature trying to figure out what it is, and lots more.

I've also been reading Enola Holmes mysteries by Nancy Springer; this series is for the younger end of YA and stars the much-younger sister of Sherlock Holmes. She is 16 years old, has run away to London so Mycroft and Sherlock can't send her to a finishing school, runs her own private detective business, and solves mysteries on her own.

And I just found out my local library owns some of Peter's adult mysteries, so I plan to check them out tomorrow.
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19304 is a reply to message #19268 ] Mon, 10 August 2009 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent thx, I got it out of the library today!
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19305 is a reply to message #19304 ] Mon, 10 August 2009 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Your library must get new things WAY faster than mine! They still haven't heard of it at all. I went out and bought them because I know they'll get added to my fluffy re-read pile.
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19306 is a reply to message #19305 ] Tue, 11 August 2009 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mori-neko wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 16:33

Your library must get new things WAY faster than mine! They still haven't heard of it at all. I went out and bought them because I know they'll get added to my fluffy re-read pile.

actually I do have an excellent library - once they get a series they pretty much commit to getting any more books in the series without being asked. And the staff seem to like SF and fantasy because we get a LOT of new stuff and a decent variety of it as well, I originally stumbled on WebMage in the library and thought it looked interesting.

its very good for me because Im a fast and fairly voracious reader, and I cannot afford to buy the quantity of books I get out. They also have an RSS feed of the new books they purchase which gets updated every friday, so I can login to their website and be the first person to reserve lots of choices!

But I managed to miss MythOS but I have it now Smile

I better make a recommendation while Im at it - the Laura Childs Scrapbooking crime series I read recently. They are definately fluff but have lots of recipes and scrapbooking tips as well as various murders to solve and its set in New Orleans so has lots of colour and character. She has a couple of other series but I havent read those yet

http://www.laurachilds.com/scrapbookmys.html

[Updated on: Tue, 11 August 2009 00:10] by Moderator

Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19410 is a reply to message #18905 ] Wed, 12 August 2009 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I borrowed the first Webmage book from my library, read it, and liked it. I'll definitely read the rest of them. Yay for this list, and yay for libraries!

I'm also reading one of Peter's mysteries, Play Dead - found that in the library this week. Like it so far ...
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19418 is a reply to message #18905 ] Thu, 13 August 2009 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well.... I haven't actually -started- them yet, but a friend's sending me a few books for my birthday. First, there's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, then there's Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, and lastly there's Mr. Darcy, Vampyre.
I confess, I'm not entirely sure what to think of this trend (there are others out there in a similar vein). I've never actually gotten around to reading the originals....
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19456 is a reply to message #19418 ] Thu, 13 August 2009 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have Price and Prejudice and Zombies. I thought the idea was cute but the book itself is not particularly engrossing. Opinions may vary. Smile

Karen
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19709 is a reply to message #18905 ] Fri, 21 August 2009 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Julia  is currently offline Julia
Just read The Devlin Diary by Christi Phillips... very good.
Sort of like Jane Johnson's The Tenth Gift mixed with [I can't remember. I had this thought earlier... maybe like the Thirteenth Tale? Or The Lace Reader? [both of which are fabulous, by the way] I'll think about it.]

ALSO: I LOVED The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. SO great!!!

Oh, AND I read (Peter's) Death of a Unicorn. Most of you have probably read it already... but if you haven't, you really should!!!
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19716 is a reply to message #18905 ] Sat, 22 August 2009 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GBKDalton  is currently offline GBKDalton
I read War Horse by Michael Morpurgo. I heard there was play out in England based on this story, and I'm hoping it will come to New York so I can see it. The story of a horse sold away from his young owner into the army during World War One. Very sad.
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19745 is a reply to message #18905 ] Sun, 23 August 2009 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been having an interesting time reading - am working my way thru several camera/photography books in the hope that some of it will sink its way into my brain. I also placed an order on Amazon which arrived in record time and so I indulged and read these this weekend

Treason Shore by Sherwood Smith (last book in the Inda series which I have been raving about on the book discussions here)

Cast in Silence by Michelle Sagara (latest in the Kaylin Elantra series by the lady also known as Michelle West)

Other recent enjoyable reads:

Urban Shaman and Thunderbird Falls by CE Murphy (I have read her later House of Cards series and enjoyed it so wanted to give these a try - liked them!)

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson - I really enjoyed this - its a standalone, and one thing he does brilliantly is come up with totally unique magic concepts - if you liked Elantris you will like this

(Treason Shore and Warbreaker should both go on Pollyannas Booklist)

[Updated on: Sun, 23 August 2009 04:05] by Moderator

Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19764 is a reply to message #18905 ] Sun, 23 August 2009 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been indulging in a fit of rereading whatever Mary Stewart romantic suspense books I could find in my local library system; now I've checked out a bunch of old Georgette Heyer Regency books to reread.

I've also got the latest in the Meg Langslow mysteries by Donna Andrews, Swan for the Money. Every title is a bird-related pun. Meg is a blacksmith (love it), her man is a college professor who moonlights as an actor, and she has many eccentric relatives. This latest book involves growing roses! Yay!

And I've also been reading the Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer, I may have mentioned them already. Enola is the teenage sister of Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes, a detective in her own right, and determined to make her own way in life. I just borrowed the latest book, The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline.
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19821 is a reply to message #18905 ] Mon, 24 August 2009 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karayna
as of right now i am rereading Over Sea Under Stone... by Gail Carson i think... it is awesome! its a fantasy mystery! pretty awesome!
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19831 is a reply to message #18905 ] Mon, 24 August 2009 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beauty/Anna  is currently offline Beauty/Anna
I just finished reading A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly. It was very good, I will explain no further tough, you should really read it for yourself.

"You are your best resource for success"
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19832 is a reply to message #18905 ] Mon, 24 August 2009 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beauty/Anna  is currently offline Beauty/Anna
I also—at the beginning of the summer—read The Crimson Thread by Suzanne Weyn—I read it all in one day. It is a retelling of the story Rumpelstiltskin. Typically I do not usually enjoy the Rumpelstiltskin tale a hole lot, but this verson was fantastic for a number of reasons, if you have read it please PM me. Another very good book you should read.

"You are your best resource for success"
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19858 is a reply to message #19821 ] Tue, 25 August 2009 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black Bear  is currently offline Black Bear
[Moderator]
Karayna wrote on Mon, 24 August 2009 09:40

as of right now i am rereading Over Sea Under Stone... by Gail Carson i think... it is awesome! its a fantasy mystery! pretty awesome!

Susan Cooper. Smile

"The time is always right to do what's right."--MLK Jr.
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19953 is a reply to message #18905 ] Thu, 27 August 2009 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
L.R.K.  is currently offline L.R.K.
Re-reading "A Pair of Blue Eyes" by Thomas Hardy.

Why, I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean, like butter that has been scraped over too much bread.
Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #19954 is a reply to message #19858 ] Thu, 27 August 2009 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karayna
"Susan Cooper. Smile"
yea i realized that yesterday and hadnt gotten a chance to fix it.. rofl

[Updated on: Thu, 27 August 2009 12:51]

Re: August 2009 What Are You Reading? [message #20330 is a reply to message #18905 ] Wed, 09 September 2009 13:17 Go to previous message
Maren  is currently offline Maren
[Moderator]
This thread has now been locked for archiving. Look for the current month's What Are You Reading post near the top of the Pollyanna subforum.
Previous Topic:August 2009 recommendation thread
Next Topic:Sept.-Oct. 2009 What Are You Reading?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 25 23:20:53 CDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02302 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.