September 20, 2008

Shadows is here!

Wedding dress

img_0754jpgcrop2.jpg. . . for someone else’s wedding.  I bought this yonks ago when Dickinsons were getting married nearly every other weekend.  I don’t think I’ve worn it since the last of the previous generation got fired off, and there’s been a lull while the next lot grow up.  There is a truly fabulous hat that goes with it, but as a mere member of the wedding–a member, furthermore, hiding in the back row ready to dart upstairs and grab a bell rope*–this did not seem to me suitable.  Sigh.  It’s a big black straw thing with red roses and veiling and I adore it, but I don’t lead a red roses and veiling sort of life.**  Which is a good thing.  But . . .

Fortunately Peter has many other talents and virtues because photo-taking is not among them.  Be sure and get all of me! I said, repeatedly.  So when I went to plug in the camera I discovered three photos of me cut off at the knees which not only is not all of me but looks really dumb.  So here’s a cropped one to which I invite you to observe that I’m wearing make up.  The last time this happened was probably the last time I wore this dress.  Most of the time I don’t care if I’m wiped out by the brilliance of my apparel but this dress gets all sad if you look like a ghost in it.***  I’m not sure if you can see the eye paint behind my glasses, but the lipstick is what I could get on a Friday afternoon in a small town corner pharmacy.  Apparently deep hot pink/non-scarlet reds are not in vogue at the moment.  At least not in small town corner pharmacies.  Last time I needed lipstick for this dress I was spoilt for choice.

* At which point where would I put the hat?  This is not a hat you just idly lay down any old where and we don’t have padded velvet hat stands nor even coat check personnel in bell towers.

**  Even without the hat, Oisin, who was playing organ, blinked at me a couple of times and said, you scrub up rather well.  Maybe I should change out of the muddy jeans for my piano lessons.  No, I can’t be bothered.

*** It’s even worse if you’re wearing The Hat.

comments

Please join the discussion at Robin McKinley's Web Forum.

Comment by Black Bear

Ah, marvelous! Though you’d have looked dapper in a tux, I think this was quite a satisfactory substitute. :)

I had a dress rather like that which was my standard wedding fare in the mid 90′s, when all my college pals were getting hitched; though I think the roses were a bit more to the burgundy than fuscia. I do have a picture of myself in it that is one of the few pictures of me in a dress that I rather like (though I didn’t have a HAT.) Unfortunately the post-college spread rendered it unwearable by the turn o the century and I’ve not worn it since. I did wear makeup for that most recent wedding I went to; as I’m completely clueless about makeup application, I had to have one of my friends at work do it for me in my cubicle while about 5 people watched and provided running commentary…

So how was the party afterwards, did you mingle? :)

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

I can just about slap on the eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, and lipstick. I don’t think I could stand having someone else doing it. POST THAT PHOTO. I want to see you in a DRESS!!!!!!

No. Peter got tired and I took him home. Age hath its privileges. :)

Comment by Black Bear

I can just about slap on the eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, and lipstick.

Well, that’s 4 more things than I can do. :) As I’ve got very dark eyelashes to begin with, eye makeup has never seemed necessary… but the rather prominent circles under my eyes (thin skin right there, my mom’s got it too) are starting to make me look rather Night-of-the-Living-Deadish in flash photos these days. So I’m trying to learn about foundation and cover up, with mixed success.

POST THAT PHOTO. I want to see you in a DRESS!!!!!!

Oh god, I’ll have to dig it up and scan it, it’s from the days before digital. It’s nothing to compare to the photo above though, I must say! :)

Comment by Robin

I can’t be doing with foundation etc. Makes my skin curl up just thinking about it. And I’ve got a lot of broken blood vessels on my face–from standing on my head [sic], which is supposed to be GOOD for you [double sic]–so I SHOULD wear it. No.

Comment by librarykat

I don’t wear makeup, period. When I lived in Hawaii, the humidity combined with my oily skin caused makeup to pretty much melt off my face in the two-block walk from the parking lot to the library. I gave up and said no more! People just have to deal with my freckles and wrinkles. I’ve hardly ever worn makeup, anyway. On my wedding day, one of my sisters-in-law applied makeup to my face. Made it feel like a mask. I just don’t like the stuff. And I mentioned my oily skin. Nothing stays on.

Comment by Robin

Yes. Can’t stand the mask stuff. I threw out my last lot of make up . . . from the SUNSHINE tour. And I’m not sure I ever wore it then. . . .

Comment by Diane in MN

I have, unfortunately, sensitive skin, and makeup makes me itch, so I haven’t worn it since I found this out as an undergraduate. And it doesn’t take much to irritate the skin around my eyes, so eye makeup is a definite no-no. So when I have circles under the eyes, people just have to lump it. The consolation is that makeup is expensive and perishable, so I save a bundle, which can then be dropped at the bookstore. :)

Comment by Robin

Agree on all fronts–that’s the OTHER reason I stopped wearing it (also in college), that and that it was just too much trouble. The last several decades if I wear it for special occasions only I can get away with it, which means that each hideously expensive wodge of make up usually gets used . . . once. But I’ve just been browsing ‘organic cosmetics’ on line. I’m wondering if it’s worth a try for slightly more frequent special occasions. I’m only going to get *older*. It’s still way too much trouble for regular application.

Comment by jmeadows

*whistles* You look gorgeous, Robin. And that’s a fabulous dress.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

LOL! Thank you!

Comment by anne_d

You look mahvelous, dahling!

I would love to have seen the hat. Perhaps a photo later? I, too, love hats.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

I was thinking I might get another photo entry out of that hat. . . . :)

Comment by Susan from Athens

The dress looks lovely and I’m sure the hat would make a great entry. In the large size photo you can just about see the lipstick and the shade looks great. As anyone into lipsticks will tell you (and I am a serious lipstick freak – yeah I know, girly of me, but there you have it) getting your lipstick to exactly match everything else is awfully vulgar. It should tone or contrast nicely. You managed that. If the rest has been sitting around for years, I am lighting a candle for you because you might be coming up in spots tomorrow if I don’t. Toss the stuff. You can get all sorts of skin problems. (Thus spake the woman who had to give away a drawer full of Chanel and Estee Lauder and Bobbi Brown et al eye makeup when she got eye alergies).

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

No, no, bought *everything* new. I am Allergy Girl. It’s just basic brownish-beigeish eye goop is easy–there’s a little dark rose in there too–I was a bit stymied by the lipsticks however. I agree that you don’t want it to MATCH but this was merely the only remotely right-end-of-red there was, and it wasn’t very. . . .

Comment by jmeadows

You can get all sorts of skin problems.

Yeah. Eep. says the girl who found out the hard way. (Fortunately nothing really awful, just zits. Urgh.) I told my sister (who is really into makeup – how are we related?) and she YELLED at me and made me throw it all away right then. Since she’s into makeup, she picked out new stuff for me. I’ll wear powder and cover up (not foundation, though), and eye stuff. I haven’t touched lipstick since dance recitals years ago. I find it icky and confusing. I’ll stick with Chapstick. *grin*

Comment by JM

Yes, please — another vote for The Hat *raises hand*

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Ah. Well. Hmmmm.

Comment by Diane in MN

*Great* dress–and I am a sucker for that shade of pink, myself. Too bad about The Hat. I bought a really good hat about a dozen years ago for our niece’s November afternoon wedding, mostly because it might have been cold and I wanted to be sure my head wouldn’t freeze. Black felt with a large black rose at the back and lovely veiling. I have had no occasion to wear it since, but am happy to think of it living in a hatbox in my closet. I like hats.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

Yes. The having is worthwhile. I’m still hoping for an excuse to wear it again some day however. –Probably my best silly/useful hat is the waxed cotton rainhat with the ROSES. :)

Comment by Diane in MN

I figured out many years ago that cold head = unhappy sinuses = VERY unhappy me. Living here where we have serious winters, I am heavily invested in wool berets and in pricey but spectacularly wonderful cashmere watch caps, which are amazingly warm and don’t itch and can be stuffed into the pocket of a coat or a largish purse when not being worn. I have some Gore-tex rain hats stashed in the vans for emergencies, but I learned when living in Seattle that the best thing for rain is a coat with a hood. I LIKE the idea of the rain hat with ROSES. Good job you live somewhere with rain! :)

Comment by Robin

Yes–can’t BEAR my ears to get cold–I am TERRIBLY dowdy every winter!!!!

Comment by anef

You look lovely. I would have thought you could wear a smallish straw hat with that dress, with one or two discreet roses, if you didn’t want to overshadow the bride.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

The Hat is a very LARGE hat. :)

Comment by spindriftdancer

Definitely do the hat, too. It sounds like a lot of fun. You should have a garden party (maybe in a place where you can fit more than 3 other people ;), and everyone has to wear fancy hats.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Tessa from SA

May I second, third and reiterate all the comments.

You are beautiful. In addition to gods-have-mercy funny and brilliant and a graceful writer.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

Snork! Thank you. Anybody got a pin, for my *head*?

Comment by spindriftdancer

/me roots around for something sharp… but fails. Besides, she’s right ;p

Comment by skating librarian

Does your digital camera have a remote?

I am still getting the hang of holding the remote so that it is out of the picture, but the camera screen flips around so one can (kind of) see what will be in the picture, which helps somewhat.

Of course I find that to read the buttons on the remote I have to wear my glasses, and to see the tiny camera screen I have to look over the top of said glasses.

Added to that trying to get Gouda (the cat) to pose with me while all this is going on … anyway it’s a thought, and you could probably get both your feet and the top of your head in the same photo (if you don’t try to include hellhounds).

Anyway all the photos are gorgeous, funny, envy inspiring, and thank you, thank you.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by b_twin_1

Ha! Pink & Roses! Is this a theme? ;)

You look very nice Robin :) Hellhounds probably didn’t recognise you! (Do they do that thing where they stick their head up your skirt because they are fascinated by the whole “skirt thing” ??)

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

I almost published that photo!!!!!

Comment by b_twin_1

::giggles::
I don’t wear skirts often either and Belle has this thing of “What the..?” as she sticks her head underneath. If their nose wasn’t so cold and damp it would be even funnier. hehe Like the kid with the “cubbyhouse made from a blanket over some chairs”.

Please join the discussion at Robin McKinley's Web Forum.