September 20, 2008

Shadows is here!

There.

img_0777.JPGYou can’t identify them in the bell photo.  These were one of the FOUR PAIRS I bought on that memorable day this summer.  So I was not merely being self indulgent.  I was going to need a pair of girl shoes I could ring bells in!*  I was going to need them soon!**

* Well, okay, I could have taken the shoes off.  This would be no weirder than bicycle clips.

** Yes, of course I needed the other three pairs too.

comments

Please join the discussion at Robin McKinley's Web Forum.

Comment by southdowner

These look comfortable and still cute? how do you manage this? I HATE shoe shopping as my feet obviously belong to an alien species of flat footed broad-webbed kind, and earth has not as yet found my measure…pflahhhh.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

These look comfortable and still cute?

************ Yes, what stark error by what mad shoe designer? Doesn’t he (I’m sure women-shoes designers are GUYS) know the RULES? –This is just a weirdly good shop. It has pretty shoes that are WEARABLE. I keep buying them because I’m sure they’re going to get sucked back to their other universe some day soon.

Comment by susiebirds

These look comfortable and still cute?

************ Yes, what stark error by what mad shoe designer?

Brilliant!! This is my goal for all my shoe buys – as a teacher, on my feet all day, it kills me that my most comfortable shoes look like my grandmother’s orthopedics from the 80s.

LL Bean as a super sweet and very comfy pair of Mary Janes in bright red felt, with a fleecy inside and surprisingly good arch support, for under $50. (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=57091&productId=938067&qs=5686472-Google_Product_Submit). I bought two. Then a week later, I found a pair of Born flats at the Bangor TJMaxx for $20 (http://www.bornshoes.com/item.asp?ItemID=W21204)

Comment by anne_d

Cute shoes!

Cute little hellhound (?) toes as well. I assume they were worshipping at the feet of their Hellgoddess.

I finished Chalice this afternoon. Absolutely wonderful, and I was not expecting that ending. Hoping, but not expecting, and it was even better than I’d hoped. I got sniffly at the end.

Now I get to go back and read it over, slowly, savoring every little detail. Thank you thank you thank you.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

Comment by Ithilien

Oh, how pretty! I love the decorative hellhound feet too. :-)

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Susan from Athens

Nice shoes, nice paws, heck, even the kitchen tiles look good. Where are the rumoured drifts of hellhound hair? Have you been maligning them?

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

They were blown out of lens-shot by all the dancing and cavorting. :)

Comment by Susan from Athens

“They were blown out of lens-shot by all the dancing and cavorting. :)”

I have this image in my mind of dancing hellhounds creating little fairy tornadoes sweeping the way before them and around them so the drifts of hair are always somewhere other than where Chaos and Darkness reign.

Comment by JM

Lovely shoes and little hellhound feet. Of course you needed them. :)

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Diane in MN

****Yes, of course I needed the other three pairs too.****

Goes without saying. We ALWAYS need shoes. I’m sure that’s on the X chromosome somewhere. :)

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Jeanne Marie

Very cute, and I agree about the hellhound feet juxtaposition!

Terribly jealous that annd_d is already FINISHED with Chalice…I ran to TWO bookstores on Pub Day, to be told snootily that Pub Day wasn’t actually Release Day, at least not for these particualr booksellers (different conglomerates)…grf!

I frostily asked the second one when they might be joining the rest of the universe, and was told Tuesday. So, a copy has my name on it, but I can’t get my paws on it til Tuesday! (grinds teeth).

Have a happy day!
JM in kC

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Hannah

Okay, I found this and thought of you. The readers of this blog are among the happy few who can fully appreciate such complex humor.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

ROTFL!!! Yes, it’s BRILLIANT!

Comment by southdowner

****** Okay, I found this and thought of you.

This is brilliant! Just hysterically funny! THANKS!!!

Comment by Diane in MN

Thank you thank you thank you. This is great.

Comment by Robin

Comment by Susan from Athens

I think if you find shoes that look good and don’t send your feet into agony within a few minutes of putting them on you are DUTY BOUND to purchase them. Anything less would be hubris. Life only gives you so many opportunities:) Following this philosophy I have made several friends of mine very happy, including my sister, as they get all the shoes that I do not, in fact wear. I am very difficult when it comes to shoes. Plus after an accident that involved torn ligaments in my right ankle I am unable to wear any heel at all. There went a lot of money… and some very pretty shoes and boots, too.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Sharaze/grumple_soup

I love shoOh, those shoes are so cute. I would so buy them for…my sister. Sadly, I am **ahem**4foot10**ahem** and insist upon wearing something with SOME lift at all times so that my legs don’t look like little tree stumps. :) I adore shoes but I’m so limited because of my shoe size and my height. Sigh.

My birthday was this week–I got nearly $100 in bookstore gift cards (my family–in law and bio–knows me well) and the first thing I bought was Chalice! I am so excited!

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

Oh good! :)

(By the way, those shoes DO have little tiny girly heels. Sort of kitten heels.)

Please join the discussion at Robin McKinley's Web Forum.