August 5, 2008

Shadows is here!

Cute overload

img_0625.JPGI mean, have you ever seen cuter shoes?*  The ones that first caught my eye were these in pink . . . and the whole want, want thing was very strong.  But I already have some amazingly silly shoes in pink and look at this adorable green!  How did these survive long enough to go on sale??**

* If there were any men reading this blog, there aren’t any more.

** No sane person with feet this big wants to draw attention to them this way.

comments

Please join the discussion at Robin McKinley's Web Forum.

Comment by b_twin_1

::makes note to self::
Never, ever let mum and Robin go shoe shopping together.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by AJLR

“Never, ever let mum and Robin go shoe shopping together.”

I think they’d look good in matching pairs of floral-printed, rhinestone-decorated wellies…? :)

Comment by Robin

Rhinestones are *ridiculously* unstable. These would have to be my Glyndebourne wellies. For the wet summers. :)

Comment by b_twin_1

*snork*
I just showed Mum these shoes. She loved them. I score!!

She said to tell you that she is going around like an old crone at the moment with the bridgework out because she refuses to have that cement off-gassing in her mouth …..

Comment by Robin

Very sensible of her. Tell her to wear pretty shoes and concentrate on admiring her feet. :)

Comment by Darice

Those are really, really adorable shoes. I have “average” size feet, so the clearance rack rarely has good shoes in my size. WOE.

And I once had a pair of the Birkenstocks like those shown in the previous photo, except mine were orange! They were very comfortable.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Melissa Siah

But they’re gorgeous! I love the pretty plants and flowers pattern.

(And yes, that hideous experience to the dentist is a perfectly good reason to have acquired shoes to run away faster in…)

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

a perfectly good reason to have acquired shoes to run away faster in

********* Yes! I wonder if this is why new shoes is the answer to so many things! :)

Comment by JM

Incredibly cute, yes! How do they feel? They look comfortable.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

Yes! Comfortable! Amazing!

Comment by Diane in MN

These are very cute, and look comfortable too.

****No sane person with feet this big wants to draw attention to them this way.****

Well, in cute shows, why not? Besides, you are a tall person–tiny feet might start suggesting Edward Gorey again!

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

LOL! I hadn’t thought of that. But the green shoes, by the way they’re cut, do make even my slightly gigantic (ref Synchronicity) feet look smaller. It CAN be done. Or maybe it’s just anything looks small after All Stars. :)

Comment by Synchronicity

The shoes are absolutely ADORABLE. Resounding agreement there; I’d buy them in two seconds flat. However. I want you to read the following very, very carefully: You Do Not Have Enormous Feet. I feel I am qualified to make this judgment based on the fact that I myself feature plates size 13… *WIDE*. (Cue the Fate theme from Carmen.) And I LOVE SHOES. For years, it was a love so resoundingly one-sided that I may as well have been a *mermaid*, till the shoe companies wised up (somewhat) and began stocking *women’s* shoes in that size. I write to you now in glossy pink sandals with glittery pink rhinestones perched on the arches of my feet, because DAMMIT I DESERVE TO OVERCOMPENSATE for all those years of downheartedly cruising the men’s aisle. And now, unlike the notable literary mermaids, I have my happy ending. (Disney’s doesn’t count. I did say *literary*.)

Anyway. I just want you to know that there are plenty of people, myself being their spokesperson, who can and do gaze upon your feet and think “Oooh, pretty little feet in adorable shoes”. Woman, I want you to keep buying those cute on-sale shoes as long as you’re physically capable of doing so (even if I have to open a new bookstore to support this delicious habit).

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

even if I have to open a new bookstore

********* This would be good. :)

Thirteen. Okay, I’m impressed. I’m 10-11, and *I* went for DECADES wearing boring shoes. This is one of the reasons All Stars got me in such a fatal grip–you could GET THEM IN COLOURS. Pink, for example. Also, you can canter over the landscape in All Stars (and I do). The sea change that fascinates me is that in the last decade or so they’ve finally figure out making LADY shoes that are comfortable. WHAT?? If this is possible, ANYTHING is possible. We may even save the rainforest.

Comment by Eden

Haaaaaaa!
Truly, I laughed out loud.
And I don’t read Neil Gaiman.
Those ARE really cute shoes. Congratulations on your score!

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

Those ARE really cute shoes

********** Oh good. Someone understands. :)

Comment by Shelley--ssshunt

Great on the shoe score! I think the most I’ve ever scored at once was 3 pairs, at a Nordstrom Rack.

And I wear size 12, but I’m 6’2″, so I balance out alright. But all those years of buying penny loafers (Sears had them in my size) are over for me! And there’s Zappos for us with bigger feet, too. And if you go to Joerge’s Website for Taller Women, you can find all sorts of goodies.

My latest obsession are peep toes. They’re surprisingly comfy. And I just got a pedicure so my peeping toes would look nice!

Really, great shoes. I love the green ones.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Angelia

“But all those years of buying penny loafers (Sears had them in my size) are over for me!”

I loved those! Alas, Sears doesn’t have them any more–I’d love a new pair–I had my last ones resoled four or five times, but they finally gave up the ghost.

Please join the discussion at Robin McKinley's Web Forum.

The freelance writer is a man who is paid per piece or per word or perhaps. -- Robert Benchley