August 5, 2008

Shadows is here!

Best Hot Frock Shoes

img_0622.JPG

And all four of today’s pairs together cost less than these did.  I took this photo several days ago because I decided that Best Hot Frock didn’t do them justice.  Well, you know, rhinestones.

Generally speaking I make it a rule never to buy clobber full price.*  But in this case I was trying to make a good impression on a publisher.  I can’t remember why.  But I still have the dress.  And the shoes.

* This has less to do with my body parts being mostly funny sizes and more to do with the fact that I spend 99% of my time in hellhound-hair-covered jeans, with lashings of garden and countryside mud (and lately a small but significant britches-with-horsehair activity).  I want another pair of nonhellhoundwalking shoes why?

comments

Please join the discussion at Robin McKinley's Web Forum.

Comment by b_twin_1

I’ve always wanted a pair of shoes with rhinestones. I have a weakness for sparkly.
But my opportunities to wear them would be limited. Today for instance …. out there in wet grass and mud (!) working with sheep. Rhinestones on gumboots may seem a trifle odd in this instance. dang.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

Earrings. Necklaces. I wear WILDLY inappropriate jewelry just because it’s the only option. And all colours of All Stars, of course, which go through the washing machine very nicely, fortunately, although this does mean they wear OUT sooner.

Comment by Angelia

I’m 46, and I STILL have a mad desire for a pair of ruby slippers. I love red shoes, but red and sparkly? *sigh* Oh well…I saw the ones from the Oz movie in the Smithsonian. That will have to do. :)

Comment by anne_d

Shiny! Want!

Of course, I’d probably break an ankle – I haven’t worn anything with heels since my first pregnancy, which makes it twenty years or so. Birkies and Reeboks and flat Chinese shoes and some nice flat leather things from the Ren Faire…

I think there are rhinestone Birkies, but they’re even more expensive than the regular ones. I do have a pair in silver and a pair in gold, from a thrift shop.

I love All Stars, but my feet aren’t shaped that way, alas. And they come in purple, too! So sad.

Sometimes you just have to have the shoes, or the earrings, or the hat (I collect and trim my own hats, and rarely remember to wear them), and worry about where to wear them later. Consider it wearable art, put it where you can enjoy looking at it, and wear it when you can.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

Shiny! Want!

********* LOL! There are a surprising number of us out here, still with this attitude LONG after being two years old. . . .

I used to be good at stilettos-for-laughs as it were (with the black leather mini and/or the black leather merry widow :)) but I’m losing either the ability or the willingness, I’m not sure which. I still like little heels for, um, *grace*. I haven’t got it but I can PRETEND.

I know there are poor sad people out there who can’t wear All Stars. Sympathy!!!

Comment by Julia

Oooh!

–Julia

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Judy-in-NY

GOOD SHOES!!
(All of them, but especially the sparkles and the flowers.)
Buying sale shoes seems such a healthy response to being demoralized by a dentist. . . .

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

I’m so well adjusted. :)

Comment by Diane in MN

****I want another pair of nonhellhoundwalking shoes why?****

I can relate to this, since these days I mostly dress out of the LL Bean catalog and my tee shirt drawer. But I have some friends who are dog show vendors–jewelry, fancy dog collars, etc.–and whose booth slogan is “Nothing you need, lots of things you want”. That pretty well answers the question!

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

Yes, I’m afraid it does.

Comment by Firebyrd

I missed the comment window to reply to your reply on the e-books post, so I’m randomly replying here. :)

I’m 27, so just old enough to remember somewhat how things were pre-World Wide Web, but young enough to have easily adapted and love the changes. Using computers has always come quite easily to me and I was exposed to them from a young age (we got our first PC when I was around six, though I wasn’t generally allowed to use it for a while, and there started to be a bit of computer use in schools by the time I got there). So that should help explain my attitudes regarding e-books, piracy, and the like. :)

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Lusty Librarian

How Darling! And they even look comfortable. My favorite shoes are a pair of tangerine and pink plaid wedges. They seemed comfortable in the store, but several hours of reference-librarianing in them is a killer.

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

As lady shoes go they are very comfortable. They still have HEELS. I would not do anything but SIT in them for any extended period.

Comment by Katja

Oh dear, oh dear. I don’t really like hardcovers, they take up too much space and don’t fit in my bookshelves.
But I already broke down for Dragonhaven and I can feel it happening again for Chalice. Oh well, I could always buy an additional paperback later on ;-)
It’s just that I don’t do “letting go books” very well, either. So I’ll just end up with two copies ;-)

I trust you have seen this review: http://charlotteslibrary.blogspot.com/2008/08/chalice-by-robin-mckinley.html

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

No, I had NOT seen this. Thank you!

. . . And CHALICE is quite a small, lightweight hardback! It’s only a bit over 200 pages long! (I like the TWO COPIES idea!)

Comment by Katherine

I am constantly confronted with the fact that I am a complete stereotype when it comes to shoes. Must. Have. The Pretties!!!!! I always worry that in a fire, I don’t know which I would save first–my books or my shoes. (That’s after cats, of course…I do have SOME priorities). Over the weekend I spent half an hour modeling all my prettiest shoes for my visiting cousin, including the fantastic heels of vintage cream fabric printed with gorgeous green roses and the heel spike that’s made of green wood–I have nothing to wear with them but I *don’t care*.

Now when people mock me for it, I can point them over here and be all, “Robin does it too! She’s smart and practical and all that mature stuff, but she does it too!!! See the sparkly, pretty shoes? SEE?”

Bless you for being a role model. *grin*

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

*********** WANT! WAAAAAAAANT! WAAAAAAAAAAAH! –Photo? she whimpered.

Role model, hell. I’m just IMMATURE. But maybe I can start an Ongoing Shoe Photo Essay. :) (GODS. What an EXCUSE to BUY MORE SHOES. **Uh oh.**)

Comment by Diane in MN

Be careful. Be strong. Remember Imelda. :)

Comment by Robin

LOL! Imelda had MONEY!

Comment by Katherine

I’ll see if I can borrow a camera from someone and snap some shots. No need to twist my arm. *grin* They’re really lovely and I hope that translates. I also have the exact same pair in black–those I HAVE worn. (Curse the lack of italics in the comments section!)

Ah, but see, your actual maturity (or self-perceived lack thereof) has no bearing on my argument. Anybody I tell will be so impressed that they will immediately back off mocking my shoe obsession. Well, my sister won’t, but she’s nearly as bad as I am–worse if you count the fact that she’s willing to pay full price and I have palpitations if I have to pay over $20 a pair…usually closer to $10. (I’m a VERY good shopper, plus that way I don’t go bankrupt, forced to live in my car. All my books wouldn’t *fit* in my car).

I am SO not the right person to talk you out of buying more shoes. Photo essay! Woot! Brilliant idea!

Comment by Robin

******* It’s now on the list. :)

Comment by Charlotte

Hi Robin,

I’m glad Katja posted the link to my blog–I’d tried to leave it in the comments section of the Chalice post, but to no avail.

Thanks for writing it! It was a lovely two hours, with the promise of more happy re-re-re-reading to come!

Charlotte

(Comments won't nest below this level)

Comment by Robin

Why no avail? What happened?

Comment by Charlotte

I dunno. I tried twice, but my comments just never showed up…and I checked and checked…I just tried to leave another comment, so I will check again tomorrow.

Please join the discussion at Robin McKinley's Web Forum.

Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. -- Joe Gores